Old August 26th 03, 05:08 PM
Vermonter 05401

Default Car radio with shortwave

I want to buy a car radio with shortwave. Anyone have any information on
who is making them and where I can get one. Or if you have one could you
give a consumer report? Thanks

Old August 26th 03, 07:09 PM
Gregg

Blau makes one of the best. Kenwood has one too IIRC.

--
Gregg
*Perhaps it's useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old August 26th 03, 08:44 PM
J999w

The radio is half the battle, what would you use for an antenna? Does the stock
AM/FM give enough of a signal?

jw
wb9uai

Old August 27th 03, 12:41 AM
snow

MFJ make a bare bones sw car radio that performs pretty good. I had one for
several years. It is great a night...only flaw is when my car was running
during the day I could only get mostly the Religous powerhouses. Ignition
messes up the sensitivity a bit. But turn the car off and I were able to
DX some during the day. It sells aroung $75 if I remember right. Coverts
your car's am band to sw.

Old August 27th 03, 02:34 AM
Daniel Rosenzweig

FYI - Durham Radio seems to be the same company as
www.shortwavestore.com
(usa.shortwavestore.com)
Quite a bit more expensive than Jakys, but far less in shipping
charges and chances for duties etc...

"Ted Limi Sitruuna" wrote in message .. .
"Vermonter 05401" wrote in message
I want to buy a car radio with shortwave. Anyone have any information on
who is making them and where I can get one. Or if you have one could you
give a consumer report? Thanks

I found this site that has some brand names and hints in what parts of the world
SW car radios are available:

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/html/xr-c5100.html

Sony makes the XR-CA620X car radio:
http://www.durhamradio.com/shortwave-sony.htm#620

and many other brands probably manufacture SW car radios as well.

Old August 28th 03, 02:03 AM
Monte B. Carroll

I ordered the XR-CA620X from Jacky's for Christmas 2001. Total cost
with shipping and insurance was $188.30 USD. Received the radio in
three days and a nice follow-up email from their customer service
department. The radio works wonderfully with the stock speakers and
stock antenna on my 1987 Nissan Pathfinder (currently with 290,000
miles!).

Since that unit is not sold in the states, you can go to the Asian
region section on www.sony.com and research the specs there. At least
that's what I did then.

Monte B. Carroll
WC4MBC
Nashville, Tennessee USA

Old August 28th 03, 03:02 AM
Daniel Rosenzweig

I now have a Mazda6, which has an integrated radio.. There currently
isn't a kit to fit any other radios (we're all (im)patiently
waiting)... I was looking at some converters, especially the LFB
converter, which doesn't get installed in the dash -- and works
properly with digital head units...
The problem is the frequency range totally misses the frequencies I
need:

19 meter band ( 15100 to 15600 khz.)
25 meter band ( 11600 to 12100 khz.)
31 meter band ( 9500 to 9900 khz.)
49 meter band ( 5900 to 6250 khz.)

If anyone else has other ideas... it would be appreciated! I was
waiting to get the Sony radio once I got a new car... but I had to get
a car without
standard radio installation.... :-(

Old August 28th 03, 10:26 PM
Al Patrick

Most sales outlets will ASK FOR his call sign, though they may not
require it to make the sale. Some will require it.

I have an in dash unit - Sony, with the gap -- and often wish the gap
wasn't there, 9.475, 9.495, 9330, etc. Even though I've really enjoyed
and appreciated the radio I have, I often wish I'd gone the other
route. I have no ssb. Am limited to increments of 5. etc.

Al

CW wrote:

If he wants a a ham transciever, all he hass to do is go down and buy one.
He just can't legally transmit. That would probably be a good way to go.
Many of them are rather small.
"Al Patrick" wrote in message

Many "hams" get a mobile HF radio with full coverage receive. Since
this unit can also transmit, on the ham bands, it is limited (at least
at most places) to licensed amateur radio operators only.

Old August 28th 03, 11:21 PM
CW

If they refuse to sell it to him because he does not have a license, he can
sue. Any business knows this. They will not refuse to sell.