Old September 11th 03, 09:23 AM

Default AC Adapter SONY ICF-2010

I have recently obtained a SONY ICF-2010 and am
looking for an AC Adapter that is correct for this
radio. The local Radio shacks have no Idea and suggest a universal
adapter.
Can anyone provide me with a link to where I could purchase one?
I understand it is 4.5v 700 ma.

Regards
Chaz
Old September 11th 03, 02:21 PM
Dr. Artaud

Perhaps you can use one of those wonderful AC to DC adapters supplied by
Sony itself.

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/html/icf-sw7600gr.html

"Unfortunately we have to give the SONY AC-E60HG AC adapter a poor grade.
As we discovered with a number of other portable radios, the adapter is
apparently a switching supply that either induces noise into the receiver
or lets noise from the house wiring pass through to the receiver. The end
effect is that weaker signals are masked — until the cord is unplugged
and moved away from the radio. This effect is mostly noticed during the
day when there are less SW stations, with weaker signals, to listen to.

No matter who is the manufacturer, we wish such adapters would have power
line filters included within the unit.

In our situation with the very local 640 kHz MW station, attaching the
adapter also brought in the second harmonic on 1280 kHz. We also checked
for the third harmonic on 1920 kHz; that was not heard. Reverting to the
batteries, the harmonic disappeared. We can only assume the unshielded
house wiring acts an antenna. Your mileage may vary.

For extended listening we still recommend getting an adapter or a DC plug
to run the radio off a regulated power supply. If the reception of a
station is questionable, just remember to unplug the adapter before
giving up trying to listen to the program."

And

http://www.passband.com/pages/receivernews.htm

"Universal Radio also reports that Sony of America has changed the
optional 120V AC adaptor for the ICF-7600GR compact portable. Formerly
the AC-E60HG, now discontinued, it is now the AC-E60A. The new adaptor is
more compact, but there is one problem: On its side, it reads, "NOT FOR
USE WITH RADIOS." According to Universal, there is good reason for this
caution, as the new adaptor causes buzzing that disrupts radio reception.
To resolve this, Universal now offers the $19.95 MW 41-680 regulated 120V
AC adaptor made especially for the 'SW7600GR."

And you think that Radio Shack has problems.

Dr. Artaud

(Charlie ) wrote in
m:

Old September 11th 03, 03:22 PM
Leon

wrote in message
m...
I have recently obtained a SONY ICF-2010 and am
looking for an AC Adapter that is correct for this
radio. The local Radio shacks have no Idea and suggest a universal
adapter.
Can anyone provide me with a link to where I could purchase one?
I understand it is 4.5v 700 ma.

Regards
Chaz

Try any one of these. If they don't have
something similar nobody will (apart from
Sony of course - but you may pay big $$
to get one from them) :

www.hosfelt.com

http://www.mpja.com/

http://www.surplussales.com/

http://www.electronicsurplus.com/
Old September 13th 03, 06:02 AM

Thanks I've tried the only radioshack near me (Im disabled) and wasted
the cab ride there and back because the idiot at the store had no idea
what an adapta plug for theadapter was and noone else was working
that day, i emailed RS and only received an automated response saying
id be getting a letter in the mail. And ive spent 10 dlrs for the cab
and got nothing except flack from the clerk(jerk)

Radio Shack has an 800ma multi-voltage adapter that
is both regulated and filtered. Model #273-1667. Also
works well. From discussions I've seen on the Yahoo
ICF-2010 group, filtered is important, but people have
had success with unregulated supplies.

Whatever you use - remember - center tip negative on this
radio!

Oz

Old September 14th 03, 07:44 PM
Larry Ozarow

Oh what a drag. The guys at my Radioshack recognize
me by now, and don't even try to talk to me, they know
I'm always looking for something they don't know anything
about. If you do go back there or decide to purchase from
them, I don't remember the numerical size of the plug. I got the one
with the purple plastic insulator, whichever size that is, but
it could use one that is slightly bigger in diameter. I get error3
pretty easily with either the RS or with the original Sony - actually
maybe a little less with the RS. If you do go back there, probably
best off bringing the radio and and see if you can try the plugs.
Some of the stores either used to or still have a bunch of plugs
hanging from a hook right near the adapters, so you could actually
try them to see which one was the best fit.

Larry

FS: Sony 2010 KE2WG Equipment 0 October 4th 03 11:43 AM
FS: Sony 2010 KE2WG Equipment 0 October 4th 03 11:43 AM
WTB Drake SW8 or Sony ICF 2010 Pat Equipment 0 September 15th 03 11:00 PM
Sony 2010 - Repair Shortwave 1 July 19th 03 10:26 PM
FS: Sony 2001D (2010) and Quantum Loop Joe Esposito Shortwave 0 July 10th 03 06:24 PM