Old September 11th 03, 02:51 PM
TommyBoy

Default Ground and static protection question

I'm going to build some static protection for my outside wires and I
was wondering about what kind of ground is required. These are just
random wires that that will be connected to my antenna switcher which
then connects to the push-connecter of my R75. No coax.

Can I use the house's electrical ground (i.e. the ground from a nearby
outlet) or do I need to pound copper? Would using the ground from the
outlet introduce noise or any other problems?

BTW, I'm using as my model the simple neon bulb, resistor, capacitor
schematic that I found on hard-core-dx .

Thanks!
Old September 11th 03, 03:36 PM
Warpcore \(S-Meter\)

I think that an actual connection to a metal rod pounded into the earth is
best whenever possible. Nowadays, plumbing can consist of PVC pipe which is
not metalic and won't work, so you have to be careful about that. I've read
of using a heavy duty mesh or screen of copper metal buried under the earth
can work also. I'm not sure you would get what you actually need by using
the grounding plug of an electrical outlet.

Old September 12th 03, 08:36 PM
WShoots1

The a.c. ground acts like an antenna for me. It picks up signals induced off
the hot wire (not considering the effect of the parallel neutral wire).

Soil type makes a difference, too. I heard of a guy in the desert using an old
hot water heater filled with rock salt, its sides punctured (Using a gun? I
don't know. G), and then buried. An extension pipe provided the electrical
connection as well as a way to fill the tank with water. It then seeped salty
water which spread.

Bill, K5BY
Old September 13th 03, 12:17 AM
The Axelrods

There are two good article that may help you out on the AMNDX site below

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/static.html

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/ground.html

--
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Visit the AMANDX DX site with info for the new or experienced listener:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

park ground ? OK1SIP Antenna 0 January 11th 05 08:22 AM
Base Antenna Mounting Zeeeeeeee3 CB 110 February 23rd 04 04:55 AM
Static discharge protection questions mike Homebrew 36 September 25th 03 09:54 PM
Static discharge protection questions mike Homebrew 0 September 21st 03 09:25 PM
This product any good? Zombie Wolf Scanner 21 September 21st 03 02:35 AM