Old September 16th 03, 03:19 AM
Diverd4777

Default WWVH heard well in Boston MA.

Picking it up in NYC . . . at 02:19 UTC

In article , Jack
writes:

Subject: WWVH heard well in Boston MA.
From: Jack
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 02:04:57 GMT

Propagation is doing one of its fun things tonight.

15.000 MHz - 0100 UTC - WWVH, Hawaii, is coming in well and actually
overpowering WWV in CO.

Old September 16th 03, 03:20 AM
N8KDV

Jack wrote:

Propagation is doing one of its fun things tonight.

15.000 MHz - 0100 UTC - WWVH, Hawaii, is coming in well and actually
overpowering WWV in CO.

Not all that unusual. I can hear WWVH on 10 MHz here as well. I don't
think that WWVH can actually 'overpower' WWV as the time announcements
themselves are co-ordinated so that they don't interfere with each other.

Steve
Holland, MI

Drake R7, R8, R8B and Yaesu FRG-7700

Old September 16th 03, 03:50 AM
David

On good nights you can get The Pacific and East Asia very well in the
15 mHz and 17 mHz bands.

Voice of Russia 17690 is coming in well right now.

Old September 16th 03, 05:28 AM
Tony Meloche

N8KDV wrote:

Jack wrote:

Propagation is doing one of its fun things tonight.

15.000 MHz - 0100 UTC - WWVH, Hawaii, is coming in well and actually
overpowering WWV in CO.

Not all that unusual. I can hear WWVH on 10 MHz here as well. I don't
think that WWVH can actually 'overpower' WWV as the time announcements
themselves are co-ordinated so that they don't interfere with each other.

Steve
Holland, MI

And I have a positive ID on it here in Hartford, MI, not far from
Holland. Prop can indeed do marvelous things sometimes. In March of
1964 (I was 13) I was MW DXing with a 5 tube Admiral table radio. One
evening, for ten magical minutes, I pulled, and got a positive ID on, an
AM station in Denver Colorado that Whites told me was 5,000 watts - 1100
miles from my home at that time in Detroit! The one and only time that
happened, but I never forgot it.

Tony

Old September 16th 03, 07:07 AM
J999w

Off topic here, but still along the lines of great conditions, there's a thread
on the NRC (National Radio Club) list of a gent back in 1965 parked off the
coast of Vietnam on a ship, who picked up WBZ in Boston on the AM band ... loud
and clear.

How would you like to be THAT guy??

jw
wb9uai
milwaukee

Old September 16th 03, 09:09 PM
King Pineapple

"J999w" wrote in message
Off topic here, but still along the lines of great conditions, there's a

thread
on the NRC (National Radio Club) list of a gent back in 1965 parked off

the
coast of Vietnam on a ship, who picked up WBZ in Boston on the AM band ...

loud
and clear.

How would you like to be THAT guy??

Late New Zealand DXer Arthur Cushen used to routinely pull in stuff like
that. As I recall, he once said the only state he hadn't had much luck with
was Maine...

Craig, WPE1HNS
Meredith, NH USA

Drake R8B/Alpha Delta DX Sloper
Sony SW-77
Sony ICF-2010
2 x Phillips/Magnavox D2935
Uniden CR-2021
Knight Kit Star Roamer (permanently tuned to Turkey on 9460)
GE Superadio II/Select-A-Tenna
Delphi Ski-Fi XM/3" Antennae

Tuning since 1963

Old September 16th 03, 07:05 PM
saki

N8KDV wrote in
:

Jack wrote:

Propagation is doing one of its fun things tonight.

15.000 MHz - 0100 UTC - WWVH, Hawaii, is coming in well and actually
overpowering WWV in CO.

Not all that unusual. I can hear WWVH on 10 MHz here as well. I don't
think that WWVH can actually 'overpower' WWV as the time announcements
themselves are co-ordinated so that they don't interfere with each other.

True, the announcements are spaced so that each can be heard distinctly,
most of the time, but a week or so ago I noticed that WWVH on 15000 was
coming in much more strongly than usual, while WWV was buried. This was
about 0300-0400 in Southern California. I hadn't heard WWVH at such a
signal strength before. This was a surprise, particularly since WWV is
rarely so dim.

Just when I think I know where propagation patterns are headed something
unexpected happens. For the past couple of evenings my favorite
Scandinavians have been coming in clean after some grungy reception in the
previous week (R. Denmark, 11635 at 0100-0200; Finland at 13730/11990 same
time); but last night they dropped clean away into hash at about 0130. And
V. of Turkey (11885) died about the same time. I didn't check the numbers
but I assume some solar activity was afoot.

----

Old September 16th 03, 09:07 PM
King Pineapple

"saki" wrote in message

V. of Turkey (11885) died about the same time.

Is this their Turkish language xmsn with all the great music? I haven't
tried that freq lately.

PS, what's happening in the Beatles NG? Haven't been by there lately...

Old September 16th 03, 07:18 AM
H Johnson

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 02:04:57 GMT, Jack
wrote:

Propagation is doing one of its fun things tonight.

15.000 MHz - 0100 UTC - WWVH, Hawaii, is coming in well and actually
overpowering WWV in CO.

I have been hearing VOLMET and USCG weather reports originating from
Honolulu for the past week around 0600 UTC in Northern Alabama.

Cheers and 73's,
H Johnson

H Johnson
KG4WOU
Member of the Madison County ARES,
Huntsville-Madison County EMA RACES,
and SKYWARN/NALWARN
Kenwood TM-733A, FT-50R
Sangean ATS909 w/wires
*** Un-key the mic to reply via e-mail ***
Old September 16th 03, 09:05 PM
King Pineapple

"Jack" wrote in message

Propagation is doing one of its fun things tonight.

15.000 MHz - 0100 UTC - WWVH, Hawaii, is coming in well and actually
overpowering WWV in CO.

I was on the island of Kaua'i for a week in May with some friends, and on
one of our day trips we drove right by WWVH. We tried to drive in to take a
look at the facility, but it was guarded by very threatening-looking
military people (it's adjacent to the Barking Sands Missile Test facility on
the southwest shore).

I do have a picture of the road sign adjacent to the station, but it's
nothing much.

Boston Wins! Landshark CB 11 October 19th 04 03:38 PM
Will "Deja Vu (All Over Again)" be heard on any Clear Channel stations? David Buckna Broadcasting 5 September 27th 04 02:05 PM
Florida Mil Comms heard AllanStern Scanner 0 March 15th 04 06:47 AM
Governmental activities. Boston Public Library. Don Saklad Boatanchors 0 January 24th 04 06:04 AM
heard Stan major...sounds good! Foxsrus1 Broadcasting 2 January 14th 04 04:07 PM