Old September 18th 03, 12:42 AM
Macman

Default Finding a freq's point of origin

Pardon the newbie type question, but when I find a strong signal and would
like to know where the point of origin is, is there a method by which I can
search by the frequency to find out where it is originated from?

Old September 18th 03, 12:49 AM
Gregg

Triangulation. Usually only accurate on a groundwave.

Use a loop, make note of the compass heading.Drive 10+ KM to another spot
(the farther the better) and do another compass reading. Repeat for a
third time. Draw the three lines on a map and where they meet, there's the
vicinity of the transmitter.

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old September 18th 03, 12:49 AM
Diverd4777

Macman:
- Check in "Passport to Worldband Radio" ( Book)
or Monitoring times ( Magazine & .com )

& what frequency BTW . . .

Dan

Old September 18th 03, 12:51 AM
Caveat Lector

Well Passport To World Band Radio lists stations by frequency as well as
sevral links on the web

See URL:
http://ac6v.com/swl1.htm
AND
http://ac6v.com/swl.htm

Most stations Identify on the hour some more often -- match this with your
frequency listings should do it.

--
73 From The Signal In The Noise
Caveat Lector Ya All

Old September 18th 03, 12:54 AM
James Nipper

This is one of the best urls that I have ever used for this:

http://hfradio.org/swbc/

Good Luck !!

--James--

Old September 18th 03, 12:58 AM
N8KDV

James Nipper wrote:

This is one of the best urls that I have ever used for this:

http://hfradio.org/swbc/

Unfortunately it's compiled using HFCC data... not always to be trusted
by any means...

Good Luck !!

--James--

Old September 18th 03, 01:02 AM
Macman

Thanks for the feedback.

Mainly just scanning thru the AM band starting around 3.000 thru 10.000.
But I like to also tune into the LSB and USB freq's to catch the
conversations.

I currently tuned into 9.846 AM.

By the way, I just 're-oriented' my wire antenna (approx 80ft) into going
more vertical than what I did have. I suppose the higher the better!

Old September 18th 03, 04:52 PM
Jim

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 23:49:12 GMT, Gregg wrote:

Triangulation. Usually only accurate on a groundwave.

Use a loop, make note of the compass heading.Drive 10+ KM to another spot
(the farther the better) and do another compass reading. Repeat for a
third time. Draw the three lines on a map and where they meet, there's the
vicinity of the transmitter.

Not much use if it's on HF and at a great distance.

Look the frequency up in the Klingenfuß guide or
the Spezial-Frequenzliste.

There are other books.

--
JimDee
in Somerset
afton at sideband.fsnet.co.uk
Old September 19th 03, 12:18 AM
RHF

Gregg,

Beyond the Ground Wave and the First (and may be Second) SkyWave Hop.

The Signal gets to you: How it is going to get to you [.]
- - - Depending on the 'conditions' at the Time of Reception.

* That is 'why' an Omni-Directional Antenna is preferred for Receiving.

* And a Directional Antenna is preferred for Transmitting.
- - - To try to better 'saturate' the Target Area with Signal.

mttidnk ~ RHF
..
..
= = = Gregg