Old September 21st 03, 05:37 AM
Pete KE9OA

Default Drake SW8 Display adjustment

I just picked up an SW8 at the hamfest this
afternoon......................anyway, when you view the display head-on,
some of the digits are faded looking. If I stand up, and look at the
display at a downward facing angle of 45 degrees, the display looks fine.
Is there an internal contrast adjustment for the display? It is possible
the the rubber connecting substrate has oxidized over the years. I know
that it isn't supposed to be like this...........I have played with these
receivers in the past.

Pete

Old September 21st 03, 11:52 PM
TerMarL

Pete,
Try the rldrake.com site. There's a FAQ section that talks about a SW8
display contact cleaning (or something like that).
Good luck,
TL

Old September 22nd 03, 07:23 AM
Pete KE9OA

I want to thank you for the information that led me to the Drake
site....................I removed the display, and after cleaning the board
contacts behind the display with alcolol, I applied some Caig Pro-Gold with
a Q-tip to the contacts. The display works great now, with no missing
segments.
After playing with this unit for awhile, I see why you SW8 owners like it so
much...........I didn't realize that it used Murata
9-element filters even for the 6 and 4kHz bandwidths, while an 11-element
filter is used for the 2.4kHz bandwidth. Now, I need to find out if there
is an attenuator in the MW range. I am going to call Drake tomorrow.

Pete