Old September 26th 03, 06:54 PM
Altawaowr

I recommend the Kaito WRX911, what an incredible little radio it is.
I was camping last week in Oregon and could get the 30kw RFPI from
Costa Rica at night, plus all the usual powerhouses. The speaker
makes shortwave stations bright sounding and very audible (not mushy)
and the radio is really sensitive. Battery life has been excellent so
far. The WRX911 is small and weighs 220g with batteries. There's a
'feel of quality' to the thing too that impressed me also, the little
pocket sangean is flimsy in comparison. The WRX911 is a bargain at
$25.

On 24 Sep 2003 12:08:46 -0700, (Rambler) wrote:

I am looking for input into whether to buy a new SW portable.
For 5 years I have had the Sangean ATS-808 that has been my only
shortwave. I have been very happy with its performance, though I have
missed not having SSB. Over the years, I have bought and returned a
Panasonic RFB-65, RS DX-398, and a Grundig YB400. Each time, when I
would compare it to the 808, it would not prove to be worth spending
any extra money. I also have slowed on my DXing.
I am now traveling monthly to Latin America (Mexico, Chile, Brazil,
Peru) and would like to have a small SW to use on my trips. I would
also use this radio as a backpacking radio. (I'd love to find one that
receives weather bands!)
My question is: Should I just take the 808 and save my money or are
there some much smaller radios that are fairly cheap, but would give
decent enough performance to justify a different radio? I will not be
trying to pull in very faint signals because I would not think the
clarity would be possible.

The only problem with the 808 is it is a bit big and there are times
where my suitcase space is really cramped. I don't want to pay more
than $200 for a radio, so the Sony sw100 is out.

I have considered the following:
Sony SW07- alot of money. I don't know that it is worth it unless its
performance will make me stop using the 808 at home.
Sangean 606- A good choice but too much like the 808. It would be like
kissing your sister.
Grundig Traveler VII- Nice and small, but I am concerned about
performance and value
Kchibo KKE-200- nice and cheap, but a good radio?
Grundig 100- nice and cheap, but a good radio?

Which radios would you suggest or should I just stick with the 808 and
use the money elsewhere?

Any comments are welcome.

Rambler

Old September 26th 03, 09:43 PM
snow

I recommend an Sony SW100. If you can find a used one in good shape it is
worth the price. I got a used one for $175 a few years ago at Universal
Radio Used Equipment site. Was in excellant shape. VERY portable.
om...

Old September 29th 03, 01:37 PM
Rambler

Thanks for all the input on this from everyone. This is my plan as of
today:

1. I bought a Kaide KK-9702 on Ebay for $15.00. This is a small
lightweight radio that got better reviews than the Grundig 100. It
will be a redio that I would not care got confiscated or zapped in an
airport. It's 4.6"X3" and 6oz. so its small. I look forward to
comparing it to my ATS-808 to see how big of a difference there really
is in performance.

2. The "receiver" idea to me is really interesting. I think I am going
to look at the Yaesu VR-120D and the ICOM IC-R5. (the VR-500 is just
too much out of my price range.) This will give a durable radio for
backpacking or travel with weather and give me a taste of scanning and
ham listening. Plus I could pick up TV.

My questions now are these:

Everyone recommended the Yaesu, no one the ICOM. Is there a reason?
Are the two receivers basically the same?

These are both just below $200. I assume I will need an additional
antenna(s). Is there anything else that is a must to have?

Any questions I haven't asked that I should before I buy?

Thanks for the input.

Rambler
Old September 29th 03, 03:15 PM
CW

Are you worried about tororist with laser weapons?

"Rambler" wrote in message
om...

zapped in an
airport.

Old September 30th 03, 07:17 AM
Jon

From: "CW"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:15:49 GMT
Subject: Input on small travel/backpacking radio

Are you worried about tororist with laser weapons?

You bet! Last guy I saw riding a Toro had tactical nukes... sure did mow the
lawn fast.

Old September 30th 03, 01:36 PM
DougSlug

"Rambler" wrote in message
om...
Everyone recommended the Yaesu, no one the ICOM. Is there a reason?
Are the two receivers basically the same?

Possibly because it's a fairly new product and there may not be as many
owners yet. I, too, am curious about the differences. I do know that the
Icom IC-R2 usually got better reviews than the Yaesus in the past. I would
imagine that the IC-R5's performance is at least as good.

These are both just below $200. I assume I will need an additional
antenna(s). Is there anything else that is a must to have?

If you plan on listening to anything below VHF, you should have at the very
least a random wire (the reel type would be good for backpacking). Sony's
AN-LP1 active loop antenna packs up small and works very well for SW.
Depending on where you are, even just a good telescopic would help
considerably over the stock ducky.

- Doug