Old September 29th 03, 09:43 PM
Jim Thornton

Default Active SW Antenna

I thinking about replacing my 20-year old McKay Dymek DA-100D active SW
antenna. Does anyone have any experience with the active antennae from
Dalong, McKay Dymek, MFJ, Sony, etc., and would highly recommend
one over another? I don't want a tunable version; it must be a broadband
model to cover the standard shortwave broadcast frequencies. My old antenna
sits on the peak of a two-story home and I have never changed any of its
settings.

Old October 22nd 03, 12:53 AM
Friendly Everyday Mad Scientist

Jim Thornton wrote:

I thinking about replacing my 20-year old McKay Dymek DA-100D active SW
antenna. Does anyone have any experience with the active antennae from
Dalong, McKay Dymek, MFJ, Sony, etc., and would highly recommend
one over another? I don't want a tunable version; it must be a broadband
model to cover the standard shortwave broadcast frequencies. My old antenna
sits on the peak of a two-story home and I have never changed any of its
settings.

In the etc. catagory, I strongly recommend you take a look
at the Wellbrook line of active broadband loops.
See: http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/ .

My ALA1530 was a superb performer - especially considering
how noisy my location is - up to the moment I accidentally
transmitted into it on VHF due to a coax cable mix-up
accident.

The ALA330 is even more highly rated by Passport than the
1530 was. If you care about AM radio (BCB band .54-1.7 Mhz)
or longwave, then the ALA1530 is the better choice, since
the '330 filters out frequencies below shortwave. For just
shortwave, the ALA330 sounds to be the best choice.

Either choice rocks, IMHO.

Both are a tad expensive (though nothing like the
much-lower-rated RF Systems DX-1), but it really seems to
pick up more signal and less noise than anything broadband
I've tried. In fact, I gave up on random-wire + matching
transformer, since in A/B comparisons, the loop usually
delivers a quieter, and surprisingly often, a stronger,
signal!

Disclaimer: I'm in a very horribly noisy location, and the
yard is small enough that I can't escape being in the
influence of my and my two neighbors' PCs and other
electrical noise sources even after extensive
experimentation. Therefore, all wire antennas I've tried
tend to pick up a fair bit of noise.

If you have a good, relatively quiet location, of course
you'd be far better off with a wire antenna instead.

Just my personal $0.02 worth. Free advice is often worth
what you pay for it, but I wouldn't hestitate to recommend
the Wellbrook loops.
Old October 22nd 03, 02:55 PM
David

Keep the Stoner.

Old October 24th 03, 12:09 AM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

Just a thought.....hasn't the '1530 been discontinued?

VY 73s,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, MN

"Friendly Everyday Mad Scientist" wrote:
(some snips)
| My ALA1530 was a superb performer - especially considering
| how noisy my location is - up to the moment I accidentally
| transmitted into it on VHF due to a coax cable mix-up
| accident.

---

Old October 25th 03, 11:09 PM
Alan Smithee

Sorry if this message is a tad late - been away only just turned on my
computer.

Here's a thought...

I had a DA-100D about ten years ago on an older SW rig and I was quite
happy with it. When I purchased an AOR-AR5000 +3 last Christmas I was
looking around for another tunable active antenna, thinking as you
obviously have, that an upgrade was in order.

I settled on the Miraclewhip antenna through a gentleman in Montreal.

Now, this antenna is designed for transmission on portable
transceivers, particularly Yaesu. But after two lengthy -- and
extremely informative -- phone conversations with the inventor/seller,
I ordered one and it arrived a few days later.

It's ridiculously small - about the size of a small cell phone, but the
antenna extends to 57 inches and is fully tunable.

I took it with me to the west coast of Vancouver Island last year for a
short DXing vacation and the results truly blew me away.

Here's the guy's URL: http://www.miracleantenna.com/

Can't harm to check it out.

Randy