Old October 6th 03, 12:48 PM
Jerry

Default r5000 or r71a

I've always been interested in SW radio as a listener and have decided
to get more serious about it to see just how strong my interest really
is. As a start, I want to get a good used radio, and it seems like the
Kenwood R5000 or the ICOM R71A are very popular. It looks to me
like the ICOM has more features, such as CW, RTTY, and a superior
notch filter. This makes me believe it is aimed at the more serious
user. Two web sites that review receivers rate the R71A slightly
higher than the R5000. So, I would expect R71A's to be in higher
demand, but it seem to be the opposite. R5000's seem to sell at
higher prices and I see R71A owners wanting to trade for R5000's.
What am I missing? Which would be a better radio for a beginner?
I will probably start out with DX and broadcast, but may want to
grow into other areas. Thanks for any advice.

Jer

Old October 6th 03, 01:12 PM
N8KDV

Jerry wrote:

[...]

The R5000, better audio, and it will also receive CW and RTTY.

Old October 6th 03, 07:13 PM
Yourfatassaunt

i like my r71. a lot.
Old October 6th 03, 07:31 PM
J999w

i like my r71. a lot.

Me too. You won't go wrong with the R71a.

Try to find one with the expanded memory mod, and pass band tuning, although I
believe you can still buy the memory board.

jw
wb9uai
Icom R71a, Kenwood R1000, Palstar R30
Old October 6th 03, 07:54 PM
A.Pismo Clam

I have the Willco Electronics 1024 memory board and it's really a great
product. Instead of the usual 32 memories, when the board is installed not
only do you get over 1,000 memories [great for utility listening] you get
the no-fault battery upgrade.

By the way, there are some 71-A's without the PBT; you gotta look for it.
I have the one without. I don't miss it much. I'm planning on getting a
DSP-9 unit for the rig eventually.

I've heard great things about Dave Hershberger's [W9GR] above unit...even
way back in 1993!

Alain

Old October 6th 03, 09:52 PM
LHogan5782

where can i get this memory board and what is the price. what do you mean no
battery faults?
Old October 6th 03, 11:45 PM
Pete KE9OA

When the lithium battery dies, so does the radio. You need to send the
control board out to Icom, and have the board reprogrammed after they
replace the battery. Kind of like paying rent. There was an aftermarket
company that supplied nonvolatile memory boards to replace the old one.

Old October 7th 03, 01:20 AM
starman

"A.Pismo Clam" wrote:

By the way, there are some 71-A's without the PBT; you gotta look for it.
I have the one without. I don't miss it much. I'm planning on getting a
DSP-9 unit for the rig eventually.

The PBT tuning can be restored on your R71-A. It requires adding a
potentiometer, the PBT IF filter and a few other componants. The
following URL has an article on how to do it. Scroll down to the
paragraph that starts with- "In the IC-R71A, the dual PBT/Notch control
is replaced with a single (for Notch only)."

http://www.carcanada.net/dx/R71A.txt

Old October 7th 03, 02:00 AM
A.Pismo Clam

http://www.willcoele.com/