Old October 7th 03, 03:38 AM
JOEL A NURRE

Default Novice reception/grounding questions

I moved to a high rise apartment, and short-wave reception is really
horrible. However, when I put my hand on the antenna, reception improves
significantly. Does this mean that I need to ground my receivers? If it's
not a grounding problem, is there anything I can do to get the same effect
as hand-on-antenna?

If I do need to ground them, that brings up a further problem. I am nowhere
near the ground, and I have no radiators or metal water pipes in my
apartment. Is the next best option to use electrical outlets? My outlets are
all 3-prong, so would I use the screw holding the outlet face or should I
use the smallest of the 3 prongs? Also, what sort of wire should I use? Any
instructions would be most welcome, and the simpler and more detailed the
better, as I'm an idiot when it comes to things like this.

Finally, my last question might be the dumbest. One of my receivers is a
small portable (a Sangean ATS-808) and there is nothing on the receiver to
indicate where a ground would go (although there is a plug for an external
antenna). Does that mean I can't ground it?

Sorry for asking questions that must have been asked and answered hundreds
of times before, but this is a problem that has just arisen for me.

Thanks in advance--any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Old October 7th 03, 05:29 AM
Tony Meloche

JOEL A NURRE wrote:

I moved to a high rise apartment, and short-wave reception is really
horrible. However, when I put my hand on the antenna, reception improves
significantly. Does this mean that I need to ground my receivers? If it's
not a grounding problem, is there anything I can do to get the same effect
as hand-on-antenna?

Bringing your hand near the antenna is a well-understood effect -
your body acts as an antenna to a certain extent. Bringing your hand
close to an antenna
amplifies the signal somewhat.

If I do need to ground them, that brings up a further problem. I am nowhere
near the ground, and I have no radiators or metal water pipes in my
apartment. Is the next best option to use electrical outlets? My outlets are
all 3-prong, so would I use the screw holding the outlet face or should I
use the smallest of the 3 prongs?

If you have a receiver with a "GND" screw, grounding them always
helps - and is safer. Ordinary bell wire connected to the faceplate
screw of an outlet will do it, though it's not the most effective way -
but you don't have a lot of choices.

Finally, my last question might be the dumbest. One of my receivers is a
small portable (a Sangean ATS-808) and there is nothing on the receiver to
indicate where a ground would go (although there is a plug for an external
antenna). Does that mean I can't ground it?

Not in the conventional way, no. If I'm not mistaken (corrections
welcome, anyone), the plastic case acts as a ground. But that antenna
input can be a big help. Buy a simple "reel-up" antenna at Radio Shack
- about 12 bucks. On a portable, it offers pronounced improvement over
the whip. If any of your receivers are more sophisticated than that
(they have more conventional antenna inputs), a length of wire out the
window with a bit of weight on it to hold it straight can give suprising
performance. Im sure others here will have even better suggestions for
you, too.

Tony

Old October 7th 03, 03:20 PM
Warpcore

I don't know how high you are, but you could drop some wire out the window
with some small weight attached and attach the other end to the antenna
connection on the radio. Try to use a color that "blends" with the
surroundings. You'd only need 20 or 30 feet. If you can get thin enameled
wire, the color would not matter, because it would be small enough to be
invisible from a distance. Good luck s.

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message

JOEL A NURRE wrote:

[...]

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old October 8th 03, 12:16 AM
Diverd4777

even Just taping wire around the edge of the window glass then
to the antenna will help.

More wire = stronger signal

Old October 8th 03, 02:15 AM
Diverd4777

Joe:

Check on this website for more antenna advice..

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/index.php?topic=antennas

Dan
( Who lives in a High Apt with a longwire antenna
glued to the bricks outside
BETWEEN the windows)

In article , "JOEL A NURRE"
writes:

[...]

Are RF safety questions too hard for the proposed new Novice exam? Jason Hsu Policy 26 April 20th 04 11:03 PM
Just how necessary is a new Novice class? Jason Hsu Policy 52 April 19th 04 12:15 AM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
Questions of a radio novice Bjorn Westergard General 3 July 30th 03 03:40 AM