Old October 8th 03, 03:53 PM
Mike Terry

Default Latvia: SW broadcasts suspended

This was on the laser google newgroup today (unverified):

From: laser_radio
Date: Wed Oct 8, 2003 12:10 pm
Subject: Radio Frustration ?

This morning I received news from Riga concerning developments at the
Latvian Radio Television Centre (LVRTC) and the Latvian Broadcasting
Council.

Maris Pauders (LVRTC General Manager) has been sacked over the
scandal regarding Digital Television.

Also the Broadcasting Council member Ojars Rubenis has just finished
his term in position as Chairman. We are now therefore awaiting the
Latvian Parliament to appoint a new Chairman.

Due to the scandal involving Maris Pauders and the lack of a new
Chairman at the Broadcasting Council, the LVRTC management have
suspended any further use of the shortwave transmitter until the yet
to be appointed new council Chairman re-confirms our existing relay
licence.

This morning legal paperwork was submitted in an attempt to allow
us to continue broadcasting this Saturday, however unfortunately
there is no guarantee we will be able to continue with our 9290 kHz
relays.

A case of two steps forward and one back. Perhaps we should re-name
ourselves Radio Frustration ?!

Andrew