Old October 14th 03, 09:06 PM
Rambler

Default $135 Sony 7600GR or $370 Grundig 800 or used $210 Sony 2010

I know this question has been asked alot before, but I want to see if
price/performance makes a significant difference in the opinions of
this group.
I'm comparing these three radios to be a tabletop unit (no travel) for
home to upgrade my well worn DX-380 (Sangean ATS-808). I listen to SW
90% and would find the SSB interesting and would like to begin to
search for those hard to find stations, but still rarely. In the past
I have bought a YB400 and ATS 909 and returned them both because the
reception was not much better than the DX-380 with a clip-on wire
antenna.
Given the prices shown, which radio would you buy or would you expect
the reception to not be significantly better than my current setup?
I am leaning towards the 7600 because of: Price, value, quality.
The 2010 seems a great radio, but would be hit and miss on getting a
good used one, and then no guarantee on the length of its life that
would be left.
The Grundig seems to be the best for meeting my needs, but isn't twice
the radio of the 7600, is it?

Please help me decide.

Rambler
Old October 14th 03, 11:34 PM
Mitchell Regenbogen

Actually I don't think that's true. I think the odds are pretty high on
getting an excellent used 2010 on eBay. As for longevity, it's not
unusual for these suckers to last 10 years plus...

Old October 15th 03, 01:20 AM
Stinger

Yes, but a used Sony 2010 with a later-version serial number, in good
condition, is going to be closer to $300.

-- Stinger

Old October 15th 03, 04:10 AM
Rambler

Mitchell Regenbogen wrote in message ...
Actually I don't think that's true. I think the odds are pretty high on
getting an excellent used 2010 on eBay. As for longevity, it's not
unusual for these suckers to last 10 years plus...

I have been watching ebay for 2010s for the last five years off and
on. This is what I have found:

The majority of the radios that come up for sale are about 10 years
old (based on the serial numbers). Remember that they started mmaking
them in 1984. If the radio is newer, or being sold by someone who
knows the radio well, the price is more likely around $275-300 (these
include shipping BTW). From the evaluations I have read comparing the
2010 to the 7600, it didn't sound like the 2010 is twice the radio of
the 7600.

If I can get a brand new 7600GR from Sony under warranty for $135, I
have no risk. If I get a 10 year old 2010 that has no warranty, help
me see that the radio is really worth $75 (55%)more and the risks of a
bad apple or a short life. I've read many stories of 2010 owners that
have to knock the radio to get the SSB working or to make the radio
function.

But that is what this post is all about. Convince me!!

Rambler

Old October 15th 03, 04:37 AM
Mitchell Regenbogen

I own both the 7600GR and the 2010. While the 7600GR is a very good
radio, especially for traveling, it is no match in sensitivity,
selectivity and ease of use next to the 2010. And while the audio on
both is nothing to write home about, the 2010 is much more powerful in
that regard. All of the 2010's idiosynchracies have been documented and
repairs amd modifications are readily available. If you consider that
2010's/2001D's were sold for 19 years, the complaints and reports of
failures are insignificant. Are you convinced yet?? :-)

(Rambler) wrote in
om:

Old October 15th 03, 06:21 AM
Mark S. Holden

Rambler wrote:

[...]

If you're looking for a dramatic improvement over what you have now, I suggest you consider a plan involving an external antenna, or the best antenna you can create indoors if you must.

I don't know of any upgrade that offers more bang for the buck than a good antenna. Depending on your circumstances, a few dollars of wire and a little experimenting could make a heck of an improvement, even with your current radio.

Since you're planning to use it as a table top - you might want to look at some table top radios.

Used Drake R8's are highly regarded, and are in the same general price range as a Sat 800. I had one. It delivered a lot of bang for the buck.

The Tentec RX-320d is a computer controlled tabletop. I've never had one, but people who own them seem to love them. It's about $330 new. Used Rx-320's seem to go for about $200-$225. There are two versions - the RX-320d is easier to use for DRM.
Old October 15th 03, 12:14 PM
Diverd4777

In article , "Mark S. Holden"
writes:

If you're looking for a dramatic improvement over what you have now, I
suggest you consider a plan involving an external antenna, or the best
antenna you can create indoors if you must.

I don't know of any upgrade that offers more bang for the buck than a good
antenna. Depending on your circumstances, a few dollars of wire and a little
experimenting could make a heck of an improvement, even with your current
radio.

Since you're planning to use it as a table top - you might want to look at
some table top radios.

Agree:
- Had a Sony 7600; quite good. Got an Icom R-75 ( Better)
But for program listening, a good set of speaker(s) AND a good external antenna
is
paramount
I just use a long random wire and computer speakers.

FS: Sony 2010 KE2WG Equipment 0 October 4th 03 11:43 AM
FS: Sony 2010 KE2WG Equipment 0 October 4th 03 11:43 AM
New Sony ICF-SW7600GR radio, $135 + tax, shipped free P.A. Shortwave 1 September 25th 03 03:50 AM
Sony 7600GR Cell Phones and Amish The Dawn Soliloquy Shortwave 1 September 8th 03 01:59 PM
Thinking About Upgrade The Axelrods Shortwave 7 July 20th 03 02:58 AM