Old October 22nd 03, 02:08 AM
funkbastler

Default What filters for R75?

I'm very disappointed in the "out of the box" selectivity of
the R75. In case you missed my earlier post, I'm trying to
get clean reception of KFAQ (50 KW, 100 miles away), without
interference from KNED (1 KW, 5 miles away) which is seperated
from KFAQ by 20 KHz. The R75 is not cutting it.

So what's the best deal on after-market IF filters for the
R75? Need something that's wide enough for decent fidelity,
with a shape factor good enough to kill off the interference.

-fb-

Old October 22nd 03, 03:34 AM
Tony Meloche

funkbastler wrote:

I'm very disappointed in the "out of the box" selectivity of
the R75. In case you missed my earlier post, I'm trying to
get clean reception of KFAQ (50 KW, 100 miles away), without
interference from KNED (1 KW, 5 miles away) which is seperated
from KFAQ by 20 KHz. The R75 is not cutting it.

So what's the best deal on after-market IF filters for the
R75? Need something that's wide enough for decent fidelity,
with a shape factor good enough to kill off the interference.

-fb-

One opinion? Your problem isn't the Icom R-75 so much as it is your
antenna configuration. I'm not saying that's the answer, but it very
well could be the answer.

According to what I have read, aside from the DSP, which is usally a
"throw-in" in most current sales of the R-75, all the other filters Icom
can provide are for SB, RTTY and CW use. Other manufacturers may make a
filter for it that would improve AM selectivity, but I still at least
wonder if that's really the problem. But again, I admit: while that
COULD be the problem, I'm thinking antenna configuration first. I have
my Icom R-75 set to tune in 1 kHz steps, and I have no difficulty
seperating any adjacent channels (10 kHz) let alone alternate channels
(20 kHz). If you are using a turnable loop, and the two stations are at
*exactly* opposite compass points of your location, then yes - you've
got a nasty problem to solve, there - random wire would be the next
thing I'd try.

Tony

Tony

Old October 22nd 03, 10:46 AM
RHF

FB,

A 'stock' Icom IC-R75 with the "Standard Set of IF Filters" should be
able to separate these two AM/MW Stations that are some 20kHz apart
with the 'right' Loop Antenna designed for AM/MW Radio Reception.

IMHO: 55.5% of the AM/MW Radio Reception "EQUATION" is using a the
'right' AM/MW Antenna with a good AM/MW Radio; and the Icom IC-R75 is
a very good receiver for AM/MW DXing.
- - - See the Icom IC-R75 Receiver eGroup on YAHOO!

Try a building a One Metre (3-4 Ft) Box Loop Antenna with the R75.
- - - See the "Loop Antenna Information Forum" eGroup on YAHOO!

Or try one of these ready made AM/MW Loop Antennas:

* Select-A-Tenna Model 541-M

* 27" Torus Tuner AM Loop Antenna

* Justice AM Antenna

* Quantum "QX" Ferrite Rod Antenna

* Kiwa MW Air Core Loop Antenna

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = funkbastler

Old October 22nd 03, 04:38 PM
grumpus

Hi, have you tried isolating KFAQ through ECSS, i.e. tuning the
farthest sideband from KNED?

Regards,

Grumpus

(RHF) wrote in message . com...
FB,

A 'stock' Icom IC-R75 with the "Standard Set of IF Filters" should be
able to separate these two AM/MW Stations that are some 20kHz apart
with the 'right' Loop Antenna designed for AM/MW Radio Reception.

IMHO: 55.5% of the AM/MW Radio Reception "EQUATION" is using a the
'right' AM/MW Antenna with a good AM/MW Radio; and the Icom IC-R75 is
a very good receiver for AM/MW DXing.
- - - See the Icom IC-R75 Receiver eGroup on YAHOO!
GoTo=
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icomr75/

Try a building a One Metre (3-4 Ft) Box Loop Antenna with the R75.
- - - See the "Loop Antenna Information Forum" eGroup on YAHOO!

Or try one of these ready made AM/MW Loop Antennas:

* Select-A-Tenna Model 541-M

* 27" Torus Tuner AM Loop Antenna

* Justice AM Antenna

* Quantum "QX" Ferrite Rod Antenna

* Kiwa MW Air Core Loop Antenna

iane ~ RHF
.
.
= = = funkbastler

Ten-Tec filters K3HVG Boatanchors 0 October 24th 04 06:35 PM
Top coupled resonators (more bandstop filters) Joel Kolstad Homebrew 7 October 24th 04 03:13 AM
'other' Kenwood SSB Filters : YK-88S1 and YK-88S2 RHF Equipment 0 September 13th 04 12:38 PM
'other' Kenwood SSB Filters : YK-88S1 and YK-88S2 RHF Equipment 0 September 13th 04 12:38 PM
AOR AR8600MkII - SSB and AM Collins Filters DougSlug Scanner 4 June 4th 04 02:09 AM