Old October 29th 03, 03:06 AM
grumpus

Default Listenin in DFW

"Jim Douglas" wrote in message news:FrCnb.51902$Tr4.107210@attbi_s03...
I love my DX-398 except the amount of work to find a station to listen to,
and keep it for 30 + minutes. I would love to listen to BBC for an hour. I
have 50' longwire antenna outside as high as possible. I have all the books
that tell you when to listen, etc.

Any suggestions, should I be looking at a more capable receiver? If so I am
open to recommendations?

Thanks,

Jim Douglas

Hi Jim, I'm usually pretty good with acronyms, but where is DFW? Just
today I listened to the BBC on 12.095 for about an hour and a half
straight starting at 3:00 Eastern. The signal was moderately good but
fluttery; tamed it somewhat with MGC (I'm in Western NY). The problem
with this stream of BBC is that at least at the time I was listening
to it, it repeated its programming at least twice. Occasionally I
listen to the Beeb on 15.400, but that stream is programmed to the
concerns of continental Africa. Dallas Fort Worth huh? (I just now
thought of this; initially I thought it might be the acronym of one of
the Eastern Bloc states in the old Soviet Union). Others will have
better suggestions, but have you tried any of the Pacific feeds?
Also, many NPR FM and AM stations carry BBC broadcasts over night; you
might want to look into this if you can't land them reliably via SW.
By the way, the 909/398 has a fine reputation for FM dxing, so don't
be discouraged if your local NPR outlet doesn't carry the Beeb. You
may be able to pick it up out of a neighboring burg.

Regards,

Grumpus
Old October 29th 03, 03:20 AM
Gray Shockley

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:06:18 -0600, grumpus wrote
(in message ):

I'm usually pretty good with acronyms, but where is DFW?

Dallas - Fort Worth (usually)

Gray

Old October 29th 03, 04:20 AM
Dave

Hey Jim,

I listen to the BBC from 6:00 pm (central) until midnight (5:00 daylight
savings time) nearly every night at 5975 kHz. Ocassionally pick it up
elsewhere when that freq is not coming through, but that's rare. And I am
in Houston, listening on a RS DX-402 (Sangean ATS 505, I think.) with
nothing more than the built-in whip. I also pick up Voice of Russia on 7180
kHz (I think) pretty routinely too. I am in a house though, not having to
deal with concrete etc, which I am sure helps.

Dave

Old October 31st 03, 05:39 PM
steve maus

Jim Douglas wrote:

I love my DX-398 except the amount of work to find a station to
listen to, and keep it for 30 + minutes. I would love to listen to
BBC for an hour. I have 50' longwire antenna outside as high as
possible. I have all the books that tell you when to listen, etc.

Any suggestions, should I be looking at a more capable receiver? If
so I am open to recommendations?

Thanks,

Jim Douglas

Feeding the wire through an ICE-180 transformer and coax made a big
improvement with my DX-398. Reduced the background noise a bunch.