Old November 14th 03, 12:08 PM
RHF

Default A "Comparison" the Grundig Satellit 800M -=V=- 650/600

Hello Everyone,

For those who have "Owned" and/or 'extensively use' these two radios.

Could you please "Compare" the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium to the
Grundig Satellit 650/600.

1. What about these two radio's General Layout and Controls ?

2. What about these two Radios's AM/MW Band performance ?

3. What about these two Radios's Shortwave (SW) Bands performance ?

4. What about these two Radios's FM Band performance ?

5. What about these two Radios's 'build' Quality ?

6. What about these Radios's Audio Quality and sound performance ?

7. "Other" Comments ? ? ?

TBL: The More You Write about these two Radios - The Better !
- - - Any and All Details would be Appreciated.

iwtk ~ RHF

..

..
Old November 14th 03, 12:46 PM
Brenda Ann

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
Hello Everyone,

For those who have "Owned" and/or 'extensively use' these two radios.

Could you please "Compare" the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium to the
Grundig Satellit 650/600.

1. What about these two radio's General Layout and Controls ?

Layout and controls are similar on the two radios, but they have different
controls. The 800 has a rudimentary RF gain control, where the 650 has a
true full range RF gain. The 800 has electronic switching of AM/LSB/USB,
650's is manual. Same is true of the band selector and bandwidth controls.
The 800 has no adjustable preselector, whereas the 650 has an all band
preselector, which is motorized and auto/manual. Memory, frequency
selection, etc. are very similar.

2. What about these two Radios's AM/MW Band performance ?

AM band performance is very good on both radios, however, the 800 has a
small advantage because of the sync detector.

3. What about these two Radios's Shortwave (SW) Bands performance ?

As much as I love the 650, the 800 has better SW performance, mainly because
of the true SSB and sync detector.

4. What about these two Radios's FM Band performance ?

FM performance on the 650 is better than that on the 800. Some of this is
because the PLL in the 650 is much quieter, and doesn't produce birdies all
over the FM band. The 800 wins for the Aircraft band, which doesn't exist on
the 650.

5. What about these two Radios's 'build' Quality ?

Build quality is much better on the 650. To my knowledge, the Grundig made
650 (made in Belguim) never had the QC problems that have plagued the 800.
Aside from that, the radio is much solider than the 800.. very sturdy and
tough.

6. What about these Radios's Audio Quality and sound performance ?

650 audio wins hands down, with it's much more powerful amplifier, larger
and two-way speaker system, and lower THD. However, it does not have FM
stereo capablility. The 800 does not have a line input, whereas the 650
does.

7. "Other" Comments ? ? ?

I like the fact that there are only two antenna connections on the 650,
switchable between hi-impedence and 75 ohm, over the different connections
for different bands on the 800. I like the pre-amp on the whip on the 800.

TBL: The More You Write about these two Radios - The Better !
- - - Any and All Details would be Appreciated.

iwtk ~ RHF

.

.

Old November 15th 03, 12:25 AM
john KB5AG

very nice comparison, Brenda Ann. I agree with everything you said.

I do think that the 650 has "true SSB"; even though it has a BFO, it does
send the signal through a product detector on SSB modes. There's not quite
enough sideband rejection to reject the unwanted sideband when you're
tuning. I've also thought that maybe they should have made some provision to
adjust the BFO injection; sometimes it seems too much and overpowers the
signal, while a large signal overpowers the BFO. The 650's answer is MGC,
which of course solves the problem one way, but I think they could have done
better.

I was quite impressed with the 800 I had, and had I not already had plenty
of desktop radios, that one would still be here, getting lots of use.
Compared to the 650, er, I mean my 600, the choice of which one to keep is
easy. As good as the 800 is, it's just not really a Grundig to me.

John

Old November 15th 03, 05:30 AM
Gary

(RHF) wrote in message . com...
Hello Everyone,

For those who have "Owned" and/or 'extensively use' these two radios.

Could you please "Compare" the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium to the
Grundig Satellit 650/600.

2. What about these two Radios's AM/MW Band performance ?

The 650 has much better MW performance even without a sync detector.

3. What about these two Radios's Shortwave (SW) Bands performance ?

The 800 wins here mainly because of the selectable-sideband sync
detector. Also has 3 bandwidths. And the fast/slow AGC is superior to
the 650's manual gain control. The 650 "appears" to have 3 bandwidths,
but in reality has 2. The medium bandwidth is the wide bandwidth with
frequency filters, which, by the way, does work well.

4. What about these two Radios's FM Band performance ?

No contest. The 650 wins by far. The 650 has outstanding capture ratio
on FM which allowed me to receive 2 or 3 different FM stations,
clearly, on the SAME frequency, merely by rotating the whip antenna.
Also better sensitivity and selectivity than the 800 on FM.

6. What about these Radios's Audio Quality and sound performance ?

No contest. The 650 has superior sound to the 800 with a 15-watt
(30-watt peak) amp and a 2-speaker system. A 4-inch woofer-midrange
and a tweeter.

7. "Other" Comments ? ? ?

They are 2 different radios. The 650 would have been an OUTSTANDING
table-top receiver if they merely added a good sideband-selectable
sync detector and a better AGC.
Old November 16th 03, 01:30 PM
Stephan Grossklass

RHF schrieb:

The latest 'noise' about the Grundig Satellit 900 is "early 2004".

Ands once that approaches, it'll be "Q3 2004", and so on. I doubt
there'll ever be a Satellit 900. The rumored Satellit 1000 DRM perhaps,
but not a 900 - that's dead and buried. Or have you ever seen any pics
that had not been from the 1996 Grundig Germany prototype?

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/ | Webm.: http://www.i24.com/
PC#6: i440LX, 2xCel300A, 448 MB, 18 GB, ATI AGP 32 MB, 110W

Old November 17th 03, 01:50 AM
Gary

Stephan Grossklass wrote in message ...
RHF schrieb:

The latest 'noise' about the Grundig Satellit 900 is "early 2004".

Ands once that approaches, it'll be "Q3 2004", and so on. I doubt
there'll ever be a Satellit 900. The rumored Satellit 1000 DRM perhaps,
but not a 900 - that's dead and buried. Or have you ever seen any pics
that had not been from the 1996 Grundig Germany prototype?

Stephan

Actually, the Satellit 900 has been in the hands of one or more
individuals for many weeks now, user-testing it, etc. My info is that
production was delayed somewhat due to the SARS problem in China.
Otherwise, it would have been out this quarter.
Old November 17th 03, 08:50 AM
RHF

GA,

Thanks for this 'bit' of Information.

"Actually, the Satellit 900 has been in the hands of one or
more individuals for many weeks now, user-testing it, etc.

My info is that production was delayed somewhat due to the
SARS problem in China.

Otherwise, it would have been out this quarter."

yilgr ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (Gary)
RHF schrieb:

The latest 'noise' about the Grundig Satellit 900 is "early 2004".

Ands once that approaches, it'll be "Q3 2004", and so on.
I doubt there'll ever be a Satellit 900.

I fully expect to see an actual functional Grundig Satellit 900 on the
market for sale in CY-2004.

Plus, I plan to be one of the first to buy one when they are released
for sale.

WHY = yilgr ~ RHF

The rumored Satellit 1000 DRM perhaps,

SK,

The ONLY 'place' that the "Grundig Satellit 1000 DRM" Radio 'exists'
is in my MIND [.]

* I came up with the "Grundig Satellit 1000 DRM" Radio string of
words.

* I put up the "Grundig Satellit 1000 DRM" Radio eGroup on YAHOO !

(o: (o: (o: HELLO - This is a... J O K E ! ) ) )

HOWEVER - THINK ABOUT IT: I have NO Doughts that Grundig North
America (ETON Corp.) along with Tecsun GEM China (PRC) and RL Drake
(USofA) have a 'joint project team' that is working on a "Replacement"
for the current Grundig Satellit 800M. (This is way business do to
stay in business.)
- - - Most likely this newer replacement radio will be out in
CY-2006~8.
? ? ? What it really will be called/named: I Do Not Know !
* Maybe Grundig Satellit 808
* * Maybe Grundig Satellit 850
* * * Maybe Grundig Satellit 880
* * * * Maybe Grundig Satellit ? ? ? ?
NOTE: Most likely with the implementation of DRM Broadcasting in
2003.
This newer replacement radio for the Grundig Satellit 800M will have
DRM 'capability'. That is based on the assumtion that 'other'
Manufactures are offering radios wtth DRM Features and Consumers have
come to 'expect' DRM Features in Top-of-the-Line radios in the coming
years.

yilgr ~ RHF
..
..