Old November 21st 03, 01:17 AM
Howard N. Lute

Default Contact Cleaner...

Hello all,
I am wondering which type/brand of contact cleaner would you recommend
for either switches or pots ? Several of my radios are in need of this
sevicing and since it's been a long time since I've bought any (years)
perhaps there's some great New cleaner out there that I need to know
about. Thanks to all who reply.

Retired Teacher, Terrible Mechanic, Worse Plumber!
LPFM Page: http://home.att.net/~optcamel/fmradio.htm
Old November 21st 03, 01:42 AM
James Nipper

Howard, many ham radio fellows really rave about the Caig products. See the
url below.......

http://www.caig.com./

Good Luck !!

--James--

Old November 21st 03, 01:53 AM
Anonymous

"Howard N. Lute" wrote:

Hello all,
I am wondering which type/brand of contact cleaner would you recommend
for either switches or pots ? Several of my radios are in need of this
sevicing and since it's been a long time since I've bought any (years)
perhaps there's some great New cleaner out there that I need to know
about. Thanks to all who reply.

Retired Teacher, Terrible Mechanic, Worse Plumber!
LPFM Page: http://home.att.net/~optcamel/fmradio.htm

Hi Howard:

The one I use is CRC, and it works fine - but then almost any of the
dedicated "electrical contact cleaners" work fine.

Tony

Also a retired teacher (but not retired!) good small engine mechanic,
so-so plumber. ;)

Old November 23rd 03, 04:39 AM
Allen McBroom

Let the newsgroup scroll proclaim that Howard N. Lute
scribed upon its pages in :

Hello all,
I am wondering which type/brand of contact cleaner would you recommend
for either switches or pots ? Several of my radios are in need of this
sevicing and since it's been a long time since I've bought any (years)
perhaps there's some great New cleaner out there that I need to know
about.

Just go to Radio Shack, and get a can of Color TV Tuner Cleaner.
It's a contact cleaning spray with a lubricant built in. Makes scratchy
pots feel and work like new. Use the little red tube, put a shot in the
hole in the back of the pot.

--
Allen McBroom
www.NPSTKD.com

Old November 23rd 03, 06:41 AM
elfa

In article 32, Allen McBroom
says...

Let the newsgroup scroll proclaim that Howard N. Lute
scribed upon its pages in :

Hello all,
I am wondering which type/brand of contact cleaner would you recommend
for either switches or pots ? Several of my radios are in need of this
sevicing and since it's been a long time since I've bought any (years)
perhaps there's some great New cleaner out there that I need to know
about.

Just go to Radio Shack, and get a can of Color TV Tuner Cleaner.
It's a contact cleaning spray with a lubricant built in. Makes scratchy
pots feel and work like new. Use the little red tube, put a shot in the
hole in the back of the pot.

I have a can of it....cat no. 64-4315....it's called Tuner Control Cleaner and
it works well. Cleaned a tuner on an old radio I was about to throw out because
the volume control wouldn't work. One shot and Voila....works perfect.

elfa

Old November 23rd 03, 07:43 AM
Joe

Just go to Radio Shack, and get a can of Color TV Tuner Cleaner.
That may depend, If the user has warn the carbon that may make things worse
(when it drys up)

I have this trick with badly warn pots for Guitars, old amps that must be
kept original, I also used it very successfully as the only save for vintage
audio mixers.
Carefully open the back of the control (if needed) Clean and shift the
wipers on to the unworn part of the carbon track with a dental pick
After this lube it with 50-50 mix of PTFE (automotive tuf-oil) and Cramalon
D-5.

What ever you do !
Do not wash all the grease out of the control and end up with a loose,
scratchy feeling control
Unfortunately the above will not work on pots with hard fixed carbon wipers
brushes like Ohmites

-Joe

"elfa" wrote in message
In article 32, Allen