Old November 24th 03, 01:50 AM
Neil Bell

Default Sat 800 or DX-398 (Sangean)

Anyone have a chance to compare these two radios side-by-side?
Looking for good SW reception and easy tuning using my 100 ft
longwire. Any informed advice appreciated.

Neil Bell

For e-mail replies remove the "notreally."

|----------------------------------------------------------|
People with great minds talk about ideas,
People with average minds talk about things,
People with small minds talk about other people.
|----------------------------------------------------------|
Old November 25th 03, 12:22 AM
Jim Douglas

I am looking for the same thing. Someone was kind enough to send me a link
where they are selling ICOM R75 for about $100 more than the Grundig. Anyone
think that the extra $100 is worth it. I finally got to touch the Grundig at
the local Fry's last weekend, it seemed ok but was not able to spend alot of
time with it, will leave the kids home next time.

Old November 25th 03, 01:25 AM
T. Early

"Jim Douglas" wrote in message
I am looking for the same thing. Someone was kind enough to send me

a link
where they are selling ICOM R75 for about $100 more than the

Grundig. Anyone
think that the extra $100 is worth it. I finally got to touch the

Grundig at
the local Fry's last weekend, it seemed ok but was not able to spend

alot of
time with it, will leave the kids home next time.

That is a tough question to answer without knowing how much the 100
bucks means to you and what type of listening you intend to do. If
you want to start to get serious about DXing, the ICOM is definitely
more radio--but most will suggest adding a $50 synch mod as well,
which I guess would bring the total over that $100 difference. IMO
the ICOM is the more logical step up from a decent portable like the
DX-398 -if- you're pursuing the hobby from the perspective of wanting
better reception on more difficult stations. If relatively casual
program listening from the major broadcasters is the primary goal,
with some DX thrown in, you'd do well with a Sat 800. The sound is
quite good, as many here have noted. There's also the issue of
quality control variances if you're going to check one out at Fry's
and then buy online. (I've never had both in my possession at the
same time for direct comparison).

Old November 25th 03, 02:27 AM
Jenni_is_a_Whore

I sold my R75 after I bought my Sat. 800, but please note that I listen
primarily to the major international broadcasters.

Old November 25th 03, 02:30 AM
Jenni_is_a_Whore

I had Kiwa do the synch mod on my R75, thinking it would improve world band
broadcast performance. In the end, I felt like the mod didn't really help
matters out that much.

Old November 25th 03, 05:21 AM
Jim Hackett

I have both the R75 and the Sat 800. There is NO comparison between the
two. The R75 is 10 times the radio the 800 is. The 800 has virtually no
tools for digging a signal out of the muck. Incidentally, if you find an
R75 on sale, they are NOT $100 more than the 800. I believe I paid $530 for
my R75 with a free DSP unit. Don't get me wrong, the Sat800 is a fine
radio for listening to world band radio. If you want to listen to signals
that are barely there, or have so much whistling and other noises, get the
R75. R75= 1hz tuning steps Sat800= 50hz tuning steps (100hz displayed)

Old November 25th 03, 01:01 PM
RHF

NB,

I have both radios.

The Sangean ATS-909 (DX398) is a True 'portable' SW Radio that works
will with an External Antenna. It is a great small radio with many
good features. But alas, it is a small radio and after awhile it
really sounds like a small radio.

The Grundig Satellit 800M is a "LARGE" Table Top SW Radio that also
works will with an External Antenna. It is a great large radio with
many more good features.

GS800M -=V=- ATS-909
AM SYNC -v- None
SSB -v- SSB
Three(3) IF Filters -v- Two(2)
Good Whip Antenna & Pre-Amp -v- Poor Whip Antenna Reception
LO-Z (50 Ohm SO-239) & HI-Z (500 Ohm Terminals) -v- 1/8" Stereo Plug

TBL: Since you have stated that you would be using the radio with
your 100 Ft Random Wire Antenna. (Primarily going to be used in a
"Fixed" Location.)
= = = My choice would be the GS800M for the extra features and it's
Beautiful Full Sound that will 'enhance' your long term Listening
Enjoyment.

yilgr ~ RHF
..
..
= = = Neil Bell
= = = wrote in message . ..
Anyone have a chance to compare these two radios side-by-side?
Looking for good SW reception and easy tuning using my 100 ft
longwire. Any informed advice appreciated.

Neil Bell

For e-mail replies remove the "notreally."

|----------------------------------------------------------|

PW*MTA* (pw*mta*) ~ RHF

pwgmtai ~ People with great minds talk about ideas,

pwamtat ~ People with average minds talk about things,

pwsmtaop ~ People with small minds talk about other people.

|----------------------------------------------------------|
Old November 25th 03, 01:12 PM
RHF

TE,

I would agree with what you have said; and I own both the Grundig
Satellit 800M and the Icom IC-R75 with the KIWA Mods.

Here are my "One-Liners"

* The Grundig Satellit 800M is a full featured and 'wonderful
sounding' Broad Cast Listeners (BCL) Radio.

* The Icom IC-R75 is a fully functional and 'enjoyable' DXing
Receiver.

wmcis ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "T. Early"

Old November 25th 03, 02:30 PM
Stephen Rabinowitz

True about the quality control, they had problems with early ones & they are
not holding up. Just look at all the refurbished ones for sale.