Old August 26th 03, 02:31 PM
John Garrison

Default Is the Sangean ATS-909 worth three times as much as the ATS-505?

The additional controls make it worthwhile to me, and for that reason I
bought one several years ago. Also the 505 is MUCH smaller, and that made
handling a little difficult, ham fisted as I am. The 909 is compact enough
on its own you see. That said, if I didn't need the extra features of the
909, the 505 would be a good choice. Living in UK as you do, the slight
differences in sensitivity are going to be less critical than it would be
for us over here in US. Selectivity and adjustable RF Gain, on the other
hand would be VERY useful. So the 909 having its bandwidth switch, and
adjustable gain gives it an advantage.

wrote in message
I'm am aiming to buy a portable and have narrowed the choice down to
the usual possibilities. Since I really would like rotary tuning this
(probably) eliminates the Sony and Grundig models so I'm left with:-

Sangean ATS-909
Sangean ATS-818 (probably a bit too big)
Sangean ATS-505

I can get the ATS-909 for 149 pounds but have found a special offer on
the ATS-505 at 45 pounds. I know the 909 is a better radio but is it
really all that much better? The advantages of the 909 a-
RDS on FM
Variable RF gain control
Better SSB/CW facilities
Two selectivities
The Radio Nederland review of the ATS-505 is very complimentary about
it and even says that it's marginally *more* sensitive than the
ATS-909. I could afford the 909 but I'm not really convinced that it
offers all that much more. Any comments from others here?

--
Chris Green )

---

Old August 26th 03, 02:42 PM
Jim Hackett

I own all three models. In performance, the 505 is nowhere near the radio
the 909 or 818 is. Someone mention the 505 is much smaller than the 909.
That isn't true. they are the same size. If I could keep only one, it would
be the 909 for the same reasons you sited...

Old August 26th 03, 03:29 PM

John Garrison wrote:
The additional controls make it worthwhile to me, and for that reason I
bought one several years ago. Also the 505 is MUCH smaller, and that made

?? I thought the ATS-505 is very close in size to the ATS-909. The
figures I have a-
ATS-909 8.7" x 5.3" x 1.4"
ATS-505 8.5" x 4.9" x 1.4"
That doesn't seem much different to me.

handling a little difficult, ham fisted as I am. The 909 is compact enough
on its own you see. That said, if I didn't need the extra features of the
909, the 505 would be a good choice. Living in UK as you do, the slight
differences in sensitivity are going to be less critical than it would be
for us over here in US. Selectivity and adjustable RF Gain, on the other
hand would be VERY useful. So the 909 having its bandwidth switch, and
adjustable gain gives it an advantage.

Yes, that's about where I'd go to as well! :-) The question is
whether the extra 'bells and whistles' of the 909 are really worth it
for me.

--
Chris Green )