Old November 29th 03, 03:12 AM
Arthur Harris

"WShoots1" wrote:
It could be a pirate, someone using an old ham rig. There are still AM ham
transmitters out there.

The other night I heard an AM ham on 3885, which I believe is an AM ham

net
frequency. I didn't have time to stick around to learn his call or

anything.

Oh, that's for sure. I have an old Johnson Valiant, and sometimes operate AM
around 3885. There's lots of AM activity here in the northeast.

But the 3530 frequency seems like an unlikely spot for a pirate, especially
early in the morning. The pirates usually operate in the evenings and just
outside the 40 meter band (and many are using ssb). The OP said it sounded
very professional. He had three good quality receivers so I would rule out
intermod. And the frequency isn't a harmonic of any BC freq. Possibly a
spurious output from a BC station. Or somebody re-transmitting a BC station.
In any case, it's very puzzling!

Art Harris N2AH

Old November 29th 03, 05:51 AM
WShoots1

Art: But the 3530 frequency seems like an unlikely spot for a pirate,
especially
early in the morning.

I'll start listening for it, beginning in the morning, to see if I can hear
anything like that down here.

That Valiant was a good'n. I recall an AM club headquartered in a town on the
north side of Houston. I don't know if it is still active.

Bill, K5BY
SE Texas
Old November 29th 03, 12:23 PM
Rick

It could very well have been a pirate. I really don't know, but I'll keep
listening.

That's a regular occurance on that frequency and on 3.775.
Someone I met years ago I think is the engineer for WBCQ and is a regular on
3.775 yeah am.

73's
Rick

I could be a pirate, someone using an old ham rig. There are still AM ham

Old November 29th 03, 12:25 PM
Rick

No, I didn't hear any commercials. I only wish they would of given a call
or something to ID it.

I overslept this morning so I didn't get up in time to listen. Right now I
hear CW and plenty of static.

73's
Rick

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
et...

"Rick" wrote:
I really don't think so, but maybe.

It was real strong, AM and sounded very professional.

I'm going to monitor this frequecy more often now.

73's
Rick

Hmm. This is intriguing. Did you hear any commercials or references to

towns
or cities?

BTW, where are YOU located?

Art Harris N2AH

Old November 29th 03, 12:30 PM
Rick

It did sound very professional. I only wish I would of recorded it now,
I'm all setup for recording to. I was more focused on trying to identify the
station.

BTW to the previous poster, I'm located in the NE, Maine.

73's
Rick

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
. ..

Old November 29th 03, 12:46 PM
Arthur Harris

"Rick" wrote:
I overslept this morning so I didn't get up in time to listen. Right now

hear CW and plenty of static.

Yep, there's a CW DX contest on this weekend; that's what all the racket is.

The guy you're thinking of is Tim, WA1HLR (WA1 "Henry Yellar") who also does
a couple of shows on WBCQ in Saturday evenings.

You'll hear a lot of great sounding AM rigs between 3870 and 3890 kHz.

Art Harris N2AH

Old November 29th 03, 01:40 PM
Rick

"Rick" wrote:
I overslept this morning so I didn't get up in time to listen. Right

now
hear CW and plenty of static.

Yep, there's a CW DX contest on this weekend; that's what all the racket

is.

The guy you're thinking of is Tim, WA1HLR (WA1 "Henry Yellar") who also

does
a couple of shows on WBCQ in Saturday evenings.

You'll hear a lot of great sounding AM rigs between 3870 and 3890 kHz.

Art Harris N2AH

Yep, thats the one. Timtron.

I met him at a radio station I worked for many many years ago. He was
station engineer for that station (WPNO) and 2 sister stations (WSKW and
WTOS). He's quite the character.
Back in the old days when he lived in Skowhegan, Maine he was heard on
3.875 phone, all the way down in Australia. I think it was mentioned on
the CBC, but my memory isn't what it used to be so I can't be sure.

73's
Rick

Old November 29th 03, 05:19 PM
Diverd4777

Yeah.!

Radio Timtron International; on at 6;00 P.M Evening on 7.415
Great Music;

-hre's his picature..

http://www.wbcq.us/wbcqtheplanet_001.htm

& I think this one'a nother one of Timtron
http://hamgate.sunyerie.edu/~buffalo...ster_front_pai
nt_panel.gif

- Lost some serious weight workin at WBCQ..!
( Congrats !)

Old November 30th 03, 11:35 AM
Rick

11:30 UTC
I'm listening to the station again through the cw transmissions. I have it
filtered pretty steep and can hear most of the broadcast.

Well after extensive tuning around, I know what the station is, but I don't
know why I'm receiving it. It's Radio Japan. The frequency I verified it on
was 6.120 MHZ, the audio exactly matches what I'm hearing on 3.530.

The signal isn't that strong. RST S9-S10 so I'm a little puzzled why I'm
hearing it on this frequency and on all 3 of my receivers.

--
73's
Rick

"When in doubt, mumble."
"Rick" wrote in message
news
Receiving an english broadcast on 3.530. AM. Top hits, female announcer.
Been listening for 30 minutes, still no ID. Time:11:32 uct. I looked

through
lots of databases could not find anything. The signal is pretty good,

with
slow fading. RST S7 to 9 with no pre-amplification.

Can anyone identify this station?
Thanks
--
73's