Old November 30th 03, 01:17 PM
Arthur Harris

"Rick" wrote:
11:30 UTC
I'm listening to the station again through the cw transmissions. I have it
filtered pretty steep and can hear most of the broadcast.

Well after extensive tuning around, I know what the station is, but I

don't
know why I'm receiving it. It's Radio Japan. The frequency I verified it

on
was 6.120 MHZ, the audio exactly matches what I'm hearing on 3.530.

The signal isn't that strong. RST S9-S10 so I'm a little puzzled why I'm
hearing it on this frequency and on all 3 of my receivers.

I believe that broadcast is relayed via Sackville, NB Canada. Since you're
up in Maine, you're pretty close to the transmitter. Could be a low power
spurious output of their tranmitter.

Art Harris N2AH

Old November 30th 03, 01:34 PM
N8KDV

Rick wrote:

11:30 UTC
I'm listening to the station again through the cw transmissions. I have it
filtered pretty steep and can hear most of the broadcast.

Well after extensive tuning around, I know what the station is, but I don't
know why I'm receiving it. It's Radio Japan. The frequency I verified it on
was 6.120 MHZ, the audio exactly matches what I'm hearing on 3.530.

The signal isn't that strong. RST S9-S10 so I'm a little puzzled why I'm
hearing it on this frequency and on all 3 of my receivers.

Now that we know who you are hearing it is easy to figure out!

Canada relays Radio Korea on 9650 at that time, and also relays Radio Japan at
that time on 6120.

9650 - 6120 = 3530

It's coming from Sackville itself, and that happens from time to time.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old November 30th 03, 03:55 PM
Arthur Harris

"N8KDV" wrote:
Now that we know who you are hearing it is easy to figure out!

Canada relays Radio Korea on 9650 at that time, and also relays Radio

Japan at
that time on 6120.

9650 - 6120 = 3530

It's coming from Sackville itself, and that happens from time to time.

That's obviously what's going on, but I don't understand why he's not
hearing the Radio Korea audio as well as Radio Japan. Also unclear if the
"mixing" is taking place at Sackville or in Rick's receiver(s). Since he
said he heard it on three receivers, I suspect it IS being generated at
Sackville.

Art Harris N2AH

Old November 30th 03, 11:05 PM
Rick

It wasn't as noticable today as it was the other day due to the heavy CW
on the band this morning.

I'm not sure why I'm not Radio Korea. I am hearing it on all 3 receivers.
I have a 4th one, a RS DX394. Probably should of snapped that on to see if I
could hear it on that as well.

--
73's
Rick

"When in doubt, mumble."
"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
et...

Old December 1st 03, 05:14 AM
WShoots1

Also unclear if the "mixing" is taking place at Sackville or in Rick's
receiver(s). Since he said he heard it on three receivers, I suspect it IS
being generated at Sackville.

It could be mixing in or around Rick's house, where there is corrosion between
two pieces of metal, especially if they are dissimilar metals. (Brass and
aluminum should never be in contact with each other.)

Now for the fun: Rick should take his most portable receiver and go around the
inside and outside of his house, maybe even down the road. Look for the
strongest signal. Be sure to check a.c. outlets and lamp sockets, breaker box,
even hinges on a mail box. Plus appliances, automobile, utility poles, ... The
list is endless.

73,
Bill, K5BY

Old December 6th 03, 11:34 AM
Art Harris

"Rick" wrote:
It wasn't as noticable today as it was the other day due to the heavy CW
on the band this morning.

I'm not sure why I'm not Radio Korea. I am hearing it on all 3 receivers.
I have a 4th one, a RS DX394. Probably should of snapped that on to see if I
could hear it on that as well.

I heard it this morning (Saturday) at 1115z! Here on Long Island the
signal on 3530 was only about S3, but definitely the same program as
6120 (Radio Japan via Sackville). I was hearing the 6120 signal at a
little over S9, and the same for Radio Korea (via Sackville) on 9650.
Those signals would not be strong enough to generate intermod in my
receiver, so I have to believe the signal is coming from Sackville.

The only mystery to me is why I only hear the Radio Japan audio. If
the 3530 signal is generated by "mixing" of 9650 and 6120, both
broadcasts should be heard.

I wonder if Sackville is aware of this anomaly.

Art Harris N2AH
Old December 7th 03, 11:40 AM
Arthur Harris

"Art Harris" wrote:

The only mystery to me is why I only hear the Radio Japan audio. If
the 3530 signal is generated by "mixing" of 9650 and 6120, both
broadcasts should be heard.

Propagation was better today (12/7/03) and I WAS able to hear BOTH Radio
Japan and Radio Korea audio on 3530 at 1120z. Radio Japan (6120) has heavier
modulation which may explain why we weren't noticing Radio Korea's audio
before. But if you listen closely, you can hear them both. The siganls on
6120 and 9650 were each close to S9 +40dB today. The 3530 signal was about
S4.

Art Harris N2AH

Old December 7th 03, 12:52 PM
N8KDV

Arthur Harris wrote:

"Art Harris" wrote:

The only mystery to me is why I only hear the Radio Japan audio. If
the 3530 signal is generated by "mixing" of 9650 and 6120, both
broadcasts should be heard.

Propagation was better today (12/7/03) and I WAS able to hear BOTH Radio
Japan and Radio Korea audio on 3530 at 1120z. Radio Japan (6120) has heavier
modulation which may explain why we weren't noticing Radio Korea's audio
before. But if you listen closely, you can hear them both. The siganls on
6120 and 9650 were each close to S9 +40dB today. The 3530 signal was about
S4.

Art Harris N2AH

Glad you finally figured it out.