Old December 14th 03, 07:05 AM
Radioman

Ragchewer wrote:

Why do I not like the ARRL? I will answer that with another
question. Would you trust a gang of Yankee carpetbaggers,
the same bunch who stole from the southerners at the end of
the War Between The States? You would? Good! Sign
up for life membership with the rest of the NewingtonYankee
gang. As for me, the league can go f..k itself, since that is what
it has been doing to the rest of us for decades.

RC

Don't tell us. Send it to:
Old December 14th 03, 07:07 AM
Radioman

Clint wrote:

I don't like them because the head bosses see themselves as self-appointed
gods of ham radio.... at least at one point in time they were trying to get
the FCC to hand over authority of the ham radio spectrum to them
entirely.

Clint

Don't tell us. Send it to:
Old December 14th 03, 07:19 AM
Dwight Stewart

"JEP" wrote:
I don't like ARRL because:

1) Membership price too high
2) Can't separate QST from membership
(snip)

Several years ago (four or five), QST was available at the Barnes and
Noble bookstore in this area. But it then disappeared off the shelf and I
haven't seen it since. When I asked the manager about it, he looked on the
computer and said the magazine was no longer available from the supplier.
This was surprising since the magazine sold out almost immediately each
month (I missed several issues because of that).

The newsgroups rec.radio.shortwave and rec.radio.cb has been deleted from
this reply (discussion is off-topic in those newsgroups).

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old December 14th 03, 02:48 PM
KØHB

"Dwight Stewart" wrote

Several years ago (four or five), QST was available at the Barnes and
Noble bookstore in this area. But it then disappeared off the shelf and I
haven't seen it since.

At $4.99/mo ($59.88/yr) plus tax, I'm sure it wasn't a high volume business
for Barnes and Noble, since that's a 53% premium over the membership dues,
and you don't get the other benefits which comes with membership. Only an
idiot would regularly buy QST from a news stand!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old December 14th 03, 02:54 PM
KØHB

"Dr. Daffodil Swain" wrote

Did you become a section director?

Those jobs are reserved for Lifetime Members.

There is no such animal as a 'section director'. Perhaps you meant 'Section
Manager'. There is no requirement to be a life member to be elected to that
position. Neither is there such a requirement for Division Director or
Division Vice Director (I was twice elected to that position, and I'm not a
life member.)

Doncha just hate it when facts come into play and spoil your lovely rant?

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old December 14th 03, 03:44 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Dr. Daffodil Swain" wrote

Did you become a section director?

Those jobs are reserved for Lifetime Members.

There is no such animal as a 'section director'. Perhaps you meant

'Section
Manager'. There is no requirement to be a life member to be elected to

that
position. Neither is there such a requirement for Division Director or
Division Vice Director (I was twice elected to that position, and I'm not

life member.)

Doncha just hate it when facts come into play and spoil your lovely rant?

73, de Hans, K0HB

It continually amazes me Hans.

BTW, THanks for the chat on 20. I am playing a bit in the 10 meter
contest, CW only.

Dan/W4NTI

Old December 14th 03, 04:38 PM
Dwight Stewart

"KØHB" wrote:
"Dwight Stewart" wrote

Several years ago (four or five), QST was
available at the Barnes and Noble bookstore
in this area. But it then disappeared off the
shelf and I haven't seen it since.

At $4.99/mo ($59.88/yr) plus tax, I'm sure it
wasn't a high volume business for Barnes and
Noble, since that's a 53% premium over the
membership dues, and you don't get the other
benefits which comes with membership. Only
an idiot would regularly buy QST from a news
stand!

There are circumstances that might require one to be an "idiot," Hans. In
my case, I purchased it at the news stand because ARRL never seemed able to
deliver my copy of the magazine (not fast enough to keep up with me). The
first time I joined, my address changed several times in a single year. I
joined at my home here. Two months later, I went elsewhere to prepare for
our operations in Kosovo. Several months later, I went to Italy for the
actual Kosovo conflict itself. Even though a change of address was sent with
each move, I received only one issue of the magazine that year.

The second year was pretty much the same as the first. I moved back to the
USA, moved several months later, and finally ended up back here again two
months after that. I got two issues of the magazine that year and didn't
rejoin at the end of the year (and didn't make any effort to get the
magazine for several years).

I joined ARRL again this year and have gotten each copy of the magazine so
far.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

ARRL Propose New License Class & Code-Free HF Access Lloyd Mitchell Antenna 43 October 26th 04 01:37 AM
ARRL and the local scene KØHB Policy 3 May 17th 04 02:30 AM
ARRL's Incoming QSL Burro Screwing NON ARRL members! NIW Policy 0 March 23rd 04 10:29 PM
ARRL Dilemmas (Representative KC8LDO a problem-operator) Twistedhed CB 0 August 20th 03 03:57 PM
ARRL FUD about BPL Jake Brodsky Shortwave 0 August 19th 03 08:35 PM