Old December 22nd 03, 09:19 PM
Mark S. Holden

Rick wrote:

SNIP
The price you mentioned is a good one for the Mackay.

On the Harris rf=550 on ebay, it would be good to make sure the problem

isn't really the high band PLL module - it runs in the 170 mhz range, and
it's probably the toughest module to work on.

Radio Esoterica has ones that have been tested and burned in for 24 hours

for $695.

http://www.radioesoterica.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=12

My only connection with them is I bought my 550 from them a few years ago.

Their detailed description of the 550 has some factual errors - for example
the SSB filter is 3.2khz, not 6.

The 550 remains my favorite radio for listening. If you get one, I'd be

happy to explain how to use the sync detector - (Harris calls it AFC) It's
one of those things that could take hours to figure out, but once you know
the trick, it's easy as can be.

Regards,

Mark

Mark,
Thank you for all your input, it's been a real help and very informative.

I contacted the sales dept of radioesoterica.com. They currently don't
have more Harris rf-550 in stock and was told they are hard to come by and
sell out almost immediately when they get them in.

So now what do I do? I could wait until they have one in stock or I could
buy the Harris RF 590 or buy another receiver. I'll probably drop sales a
line and ask them if they could let me know when one was available. (If they
will.) What do you think? Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,
Rick

Sorry to hear they're out of them. They were a good source at a reasonable price.

I've never tried a 590.

Someone who mentioned owning a 550 and a 590 said he preferred the 550, but individual tastes vary.

Based on my experience, I'd get on the waiting list - or look for another source. I know of two other sources who frequently seem to have them - but at higher prices.

I also know of someone who a "spare" that might be available, but it has the slide switches instead of the much more desirable rf-583 up/down carry/borrow paddles for tuning.

If you'd like to follow up on this, please email me directly.

Regards,

Mark