Old December 24th 03, 02:28 AM
Robert Gorsch

Default DX-440 won't operate on batteries

I have a DX-440 which has served me well for many years. Recently I
let the batteries run down; one of the D's had even leaked a little.
The radio was completely dead even on the AC adaptor. I replaced all
the batteries, including the two AA's, cleaned visible contacts (I did
not take the radio apart to get at the other battery contacts), and
the radio came back to life (with all memories erased), but only on
the AC adaptor.

If I try to use batteries only, when I push the on button the clock
display temporarily fades, but the radio does not come on. As soon as
I plug in the AC Adaptor, the radio works perfectly.

Old December 24th 03, 02:44 AM
FreeSpirit

I would say that the acid probably leaked into the case by soaking
around the metal battery contacts and has likely corroded the wire
where it connects on the other side. The wire is probably corroded
almost all the way through. Enough connection remains to power the clock
as it requires very little current to run. Any more current drawn
reduces voltage.

Just a guess of course but I have seen this many times with other
equipment in my shop.

Others may have other suggestions of course.

Good luck!

Andy