Old December 24th 03, 12:58 PM
Soliloquy

Default CW on 9330 MHz?

Last night, being Tuesday Night 23 December, at around 22:30 Eastern
Time in the U.S., or 03:30 UTC Wednesday, I happened across 9330 MHz in
the memory of my Icom and was surprised to hear a very strong CW
transmission.

Looking at several Amateur Radio Band plans, this does not seem to be an
acceptable transmission mode for that Frequency, or for that matter, for
Amateur Radio use at all.

Can someone shed some light on this?

--
Never say never.
Nothing is absolute.
Old December 24th 03, 02:36 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Soliloquy wrote:
Last night, being Tuesday Night 23 December, at around 22:30 Eastern
Time in the U.S., or 03:30 UTC Wednesday, I happened across 9330 MHz in
the memory of my Icom and was surprised to hear a very strong CW
transmission.

Looking at several Amateur Radio Band plans, this does not seem to be an
acceptable transmission mode for that Frequency, or for that matter, for
Amateur Radio use at all.

Can someone shed some light on this?

It's definitely not an amateur radio band.

According to several charts linked from
http://www.sss-mag.com/spectrum.html , that frequency (I'm assuming you
mean 9330KHz and not 9330MHz!) is allocated to the Fixed Service. The
charts aren't any more specific.

My guesses:

- Military.
- FEMA.
- Spies. (more likely, transmissions from U.S. (or Cuban) intelligence
agencies *to* spies)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old December 24th 03, 04:47 PM
Soliloquy

Doug Smith W9WI wrote in
:

Oops, yes, 9.330 MHz

or 9330 KHz

or .009330 GHz?

Very clear and easily audible from my location in Pittsburgh PA.

I need to learn code, but as I was listening, at some point, it seemed
like the character pattern repeated 3 times, there was a pause, then the
signals continued again.

Could this have been the end of the message, upon which the message was
retransmitted again from the start?

Thanks for the reply.

Merry Christmas

Old December 24th 03, 05:50 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Soliloquy wrote:
I need to learn code, but as I was listening, at some point, it seemed
like the character pattern repeated 3 times, there was a pause, then the
signals continued again.

Could this have been the end of the message, upon which the message was
retransmitted again from the start?

You can get software (freeware even but don't ask me for a pointer, as I
use Linux...) that will decode Morse. It has trouble with hand-sent
code and with noise and interference, but should be able to decode
strong, automatically-transmitted code.

(if you want to be able to decode noisy or hand-sent Morse, you do need
to learn the code though! - no computer has yet been devised that can
come anywhere near the ability of a trained operator to copy Morse...)

Back when Morse was still widely used for ship-to-shore communicaionts,
it was not unusual for shore stations to transmit a kind of "beacon"
signal, something like "V V V DE WSL WSL WSL V V V DE WSL WSL WSL".
I've not listened to commercial Morse for quite awhie but maybe that
kind of thing is still being transmitted?

I'll try to keep an ear on this frequency. All I'm hearing anywhere
near 9330 right now (noon Christmas Eve) is a domestic political call-in
show in AM mode on 9320, kinda sounds like it might be AFRTS relaying
Rush Limbaugh.

Old December 25th 03, 01:28 AM
WShoots1

Five-letter code groups are being sent. Even the IDs are five-letter groups. If
I recall my timing of them correctly, a few months ago, the speed is about 15
gpm. The plain text equivalency is about 19 wpm.

The code is on in the mornings, too. It's probably the CIA, which still uses
CW.

Bill, K5BY

Old December 25th 03, 01:53 AM
N8KDV

Soliloquy wrote:

Last night, being Tuesday Night 23 December, at around 22:30 Eastern
Time in the U.S., or 03:30 UTC Wednesday, I happened across 9330 MHz in
the memory of my Icom and was surprised to hear a very strong CW
transmission.

Looking at several Amateur Radio Band plans, this does not seem to be an
acceptable transmission mode for that Frequency, or for that matter, for
Amateur Radio use at all.

Can someone shed some light on this?

It is most likely a Cuban numbers station known by it's ENIGMA
classification of M8a. M8a uses cut numbers.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old December 27th 03, 05:44 PM
Simon Mason

"Soliloquy" wrote in message

Very clear and easily audible from my location in Pittsburgh PA.

I need to learn code, but as I was listening, at some point, it seemed
like the character pattern repeated 3 times, there was a pause, then the
signals continued again.

A call up of (for example) 973, 973, 973, 1. 973, 973, 973, 1 etc. is
classic "number station" activity. See :
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page30.html

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old December 28th 03, 01:06 AM
Howard

"Simon Mason" wrote in message ...
"Soliloquy" wrote in message

Very clear and easily audible from my location in Pittsburgh PA.

I need to learn code, but as I was listening, at some point, it seemed
like the character pattern repeated 3 times, there was a pause, then the
signals continued again.

A call up of (for example) 973, 973, 973, 1. 973, 973, 973, 1 etc. is
classic "number station" activity. See :
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page30.html

So you say you need to learn Morse code?!?

Boy do I have a deal for you...actually, I don't have the deal, but
I'd like to make you aware of the deal. There is a Morse code trainer
for Windows that works great and is absolutely free.

It was wriiten by Ray Goff G4FON of the UK, and uses the Koch method
which has to be the easiest and fastest way to learn the code. That
does mean it does not require effort, but does mean that if you use
this program for 15 or 20 minutes a day, you will learn the code in
about 30 days without breaking a sweat.

It works....IF you use it 15 or 20 minutes a day.

You can find it at:

http://www.qsl.net/g4fon/

It is the "Koch Method CW Trainer" and you can get the download there.

I hope you try it, and if need any additional help I'd be more than
glad to assist you.

Happy Holidays to all de WA2AFD
Old January 6th 04, 12:34 AM
Soliloquy

"Simon Mason" wrote in
:

Thanks for the link, I need to take time to peruse the page.

Regards