Old December 26th 03, 03:01 PM
LHogan5782

Default radio shack am loop

i came across one of the antennas with no wires to attach to a radio, can
someone tell me the catalog number or any info for the cabe that came with this
loop to attach it to a receiver?

thanks
Old December 26th 03, 03:08 PM
Ron Hardin

LHogan5782 wrote:

i came across one of the antennas with no wires to attach to a radio, can
someone tell me the catalog number or any info for the cabe that came with this
loop to attach it to a receiver?

thanks

It doesn't need to attach to most radios, just set it alongside. It's an impedance
matcher to the loopstick inside the radio, forming a transformer.

If you don't have a loopstick inside, run any old 3.5mm audio cable (probably) to
the antenna terminals on the radio, for which probably you will have to adapt the cable
but perhaps not at the radio end. 3.5mm monaural is a good guess (as opposed to stereo).
--
Ron Hardin

Old December 27th 03, 04:58 AM
Pete KE9OA

That's pretty much what they give you. It is a two conductor unshielded
wire, with a 1/8 inch plug on one end, and stripped wires on the other end.
One of the 4 antennas I bought didn't have the cable, but at 10 dollars, I
bought it anyway.

Pete

Old December 27th 03, 05:30 AM
Arthur Pozner

It's not a bad loop antenna, though it exhibits a strange pattern
when tuning control is off the desired frequency (
intermodulation? ) from the 50kW powerhouses here, in NYC.

Old December 27th 03, 12:49 PM
Rhavedx

The catalog number was 15-1853, RS discontinued the antenna about a year ago.
All you need to do is set the antenna next to your AM radio, tune the radio for
the best signal and then tune the antenna. You should hear a boost in signal
strength but you may also hear a boost in the noise level. Also try putting the
radio and antenna on a lazy susan turntable and turn both to improve signal.
The cable that came with the antenna was a 1/8th mini plug with about a 4FT two
conductor wire to attach to a radio with external antenna conections. The wire
to me was more trouble that it was worth, but a lot of people report good
results with it. Hope this helps.

Old December 27th 03, 06:00 PM
LHogan5782

thanks very much

Old December 27th 03, 08:26 PM
RHF

PETE -or- Anyone,

Concerning this Two Conductor Un-Shielded Wire Pairs.

* Is it OK to leave this Wire Pair a straight flat pair ?

* Or, should these wires be "Twisted" (Twisted Pair) about
One to Two Turns-per-Inch to 'reduce' Noise Pick-Up ?

I have always been told that these Wire Pairs should be 'twisted'
to "Reduce" Noise Pick-Up and have always done so. But is this
an exercise in Stupidity-Dumbness based on an "Old-Tech's-Tale"

iwtk ~ RHF
= = = I Want To Know !
..
..
= = = "Pete KE9OA"

Old December 27th 03, 08:51 PM
craigm

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
PETE -or- Anyone,

Concerning this Two Conductor Un-Shielded Wire Pairs.

* Is it OK to leave this Wire Pair a straight flat pair ?

* Or, should these wires be "Twisted" (Twisted Pair) about
One to Two Turns-per-Inch to 'reduce' Noise Pick-Up ?

I have always been told that these Wire Pairs should be 'twisted'
to "Reduce" Noise Pick-Up and have always done so. But is this
an exercise in Stupidity-Dumbness based on an "Old-Tech's-Tale"

iwtk ~ RHF
= = = I Want To Know !
.

You need to keep in mind the frequency and the length of the cable.

For a one meter cable at 1 MHz, I wouldn't worry about it.

craigm