Old December 29th 03, 08:35 PM
chuck

Default noise

i don't know who on this list suggested to unplug the cable modem to see if
it made a difference in the noise level on my receiver.
well i tried it last night and what a difference!!! from s-8 to s-6.
so i then tried 3 ferrite chokes on it and that cleared all the noise from
that!

then i changed my co-ax from just regular cable t.v. co-ax to some well
shielded direct burial co-ax and that took noise down from s-6 to s-3.

so far there seams to be no negative side affects from these changes.(loss
of signal)

now if i could just get ride of the noise from my computer monitor, i have
tried chokes with no change in noise level.
i guess the best thing to do is get a l.c.d. monitor, but thats just too
expensive right now!

many thanks to all that have helped with all my questions

charles foster
r8b
vr-5000
frg-7700
dx-394
ar-88

Old December 29th 03, 08:54 PM
Diverd4777

Charles:

This may sound odd, ( & look odd whilst doing it, ) but it does work:
Wrap silver duct tape around all the antenna lead-ins; it cuts down on Noise
considerably;

Try wearing headphones & tune to a SW station while you do this; You can
actually hear the noise " Go Away"

Dan

In article , "chuck"

Subject: noise

Old December 30th 03, 04:30 AM
N8KDV

RHF wrote:

DAN,

Are you talking about plain old silver duck tape ?

Or, the shinny Aluminum Foil (Metal) Tape ?

Probably the shiny aluminium foil tape, you know, the kind of stuff some people
fashion hats with.

iwtk ~ RHF
.
.
= = = (Diverd4777)

Old December 30th 03, 12:49 PM
RHF

N8KDV,

Hey, I have been told that I: Look Great in a HAT !

And the Duck Tape "Sticks" to my old 'balding' head.

jftfoi ~ RHF
..
..
= = = N8KDV

Old December 30th 03, 04:00 PM
Diverd4777

In article , Plain old silver
Duct tape;
- Use some of the shiny stuff as well; but the regular grey / silver duct tape
woks quite well..

Old December 30th 03, 04:23 PM
chuck

if i disconnect my antenna from the co-ax that goes to my radio, all of the
static from my computer goes away, so i guess i should just shut off the
monitor when i want to use my radio.

chuck

Old December 30th 03, 05:43 PM
CW

Give some details of your system. If things are set up right, the noise from
your monitor should not make any difference. Where is your antenna in
relation to your monitor? Is the coax shield grounded?

Old December 30th 03, 06:13 PM
chuck

well the first problem is i'm in a second floor room with very little chance
of getting a good ground wire up here.
computer is about 4 feet from radio, and the antenna is in the attic. it is
a single strand of #22 ga. insulated wire run back and forth from one end of
my attic to the other, totalling about 350 feet. (there is not much room up
there)!!!
from the 22 ga. wire it goes directly to the co-ax then to the radio and the
co-ax shielding is connected to the radio via. the pl-259 connector.
i have not tried a balun as of yet but it might help (??)
i have tried the ground on my cable t.v outlet and the ground on the
electrical box in the room but they just added allot of static.
i have tried an antenna tuner but that did very little for the signal and
nothing for the static,
but if i had a ground it might help.(??)

i appreciate any and all help i can get

thanks for all the help

charles foster
aurora ontario canada

Old December 30th 03, 07:10 PM
CW

Yes, the ground would help a lot. If the shield of the coax is not grounded,
it is little better than plain wire as far as shielding. What I would do in
your situation is try a loop or a dipole. Being balanced antennas, they
don't use your radio (or the outside of the coax) as part of the antenna.