Old December 30th 03, 10:53 AM
Richard Davies

Default Aero Band radio

There are a lot of pocket airband receivers around, dedicated to 108-136 MHz
approx. (Military are on UHF).

They are used by teenage aircraft-spotters at airshows and near airfields,
by U/T pilots getting to know air traffic control proceedures - and a whole
lot of people who are just hooked on the flying lark.

Also small TX/RX ones used by general-aviation pilots as emergency back-up.

You'll find masses of adverts in the flying magazines.

I'm in the UK, so can't quote US suppliers, but it shouldn't be difficult to
find them.

Best wishes

RichardD
Devon, UK

Old December 30th 03, 07:27 PM
H Davis

Richard:

Thanks for the encouragement.

Someone else mentioned a scanner and I don't think I want a scanner. Don't
really know why, but I just prefer turning knobs.

I'll be checking in flying mags and still monitoring this news group.

Harlan

Old December 30th 03, 10:54 PM
Richard Davies

Harian -

You'll have to know what you're looking for on the airband frequencies.

Transmissions are spasmodic, and short & sweet - no chat.
VHF is line-of-sight, so you're unlikely to pick up transmissions from
ground stations, unless you're near an airfield or airport.
Easy to listen to aircraft, though, which contact Air Traffic Control near
airfields, and at various reporting-points on their routes.
Airports transmit recorded information about weather, runways-in-use,
altimeter settings, etc, updated regularly.
There is fascinating lisening at the Experimental Aircraft Association's
annual Fly-in at Oskosh, Wisconsin, beginning of August - 12,000 aircraft
being sequenced in and out, by some really sharp, fast-talking controllers.

The airband-radio shops will have comprehensive frequencies guide-books.

Two good pocket-size receivers are the Icom IC-R5 (about 150 pounds sterling
over here) and the Maycom AR 108 (about £60)

Good luck...

RichardD

Old December 31st 03, 03:28 AM
Beloved Leader

Richard Davies wrote in message ...

There are a lot of pocket airband receivers around,...

Batteries America in the US has an air band radio for $40

http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage21.htm

NEW: the MR-318A DIGITAL RADIO
with AIR BAND / AM / FM.....that SCANS! $ 39.95

With these convenient features:
(1) DIGITAL TUNING of AM, FM, and AIR BAND frequencies with
easy-to-read LCD display!

(2) Can SCAN up or down to lock on to the closest transmitting
frequency !

(3) 30 programmable memory presets (10 per channel).

(4) Mono or Stereo (FM) choice of operation. Includes Mono earphone !

(5) Includes KEY LOCK feature to remain fixed at desired frequency.

(6) Runs on 2 AA batteries (easy access on back). Has LCD low battery
indicator. Also has 3V DC input jack for operation from a wall outlet
or filtered vehicle DC output.

(7) AM: 520 - 1720 kHz (10 kHz step). FM: 87.3 - 108.1 MHz (100 kHz
step).
AIR BAND: 108.000 - 140.000 MHz (25 kHz step).

(8) Built-in speaker for handheld or tabletop use. Has telescoping
antenna too !

(9) Meets all FCC requirements!

Coast Guard Aero Freq's: AM ? Robert11 Scanner 0 August 17th 04 05:49 PM
New 1.8 KHz Spacing For Commercial Aero Channels ? Robert11 Scanner 3 April 6th 04 10:54 AM
Aero Band Radio? H Davis Shortwave 3 January 1st 04 07:59 PM
Aero Mobile .52 Simplex Request Jim Weir General 1 July 14th 03 05:37 PM
Aero Mobile .52 Simplex Request Jim Weir Policy 1 July 14th 03 05:37 PM