Old January 6th 04, 07:39 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Default superhet alignment ?

I think it was after last summer that I saw a published magazine article
where someone had come with a new way, at least for me, to align a radio so
that the dial would be calibrated throughout its range. IIRC he set the
trimmer, padder and other adjustments just once or maybe twice. In the past
I have set and reset all adjustments several times, each time cutting the
error in half until I'm satisfied or worn out.. If anyone recalls the
article I sure would appreciate knowing. It seems like it may have been
Monitoring Times or Popular Communications, neither of which I subscribe to,
but it could have been elsewhere, because my memeory isn't as good as it was
because I was taking Lipitor, and have now quit.
tnx
hank wd5jfr

Old January 7th 04, 08:08 AM
WShoots1

Tube radios with real variable condens... er capacitors in them had split
outside plates that could be bent outward to fine tune throughout a range. That
could be a problem, though, with multiband radios.

Bill, K5BY
Old January 8th 04, 03:40 AM
Brian Denley

WShoots1 wrote:
Tube radios with real variable condens... er capacitors in them had
split outside plates that could be bent outward to fine tune
throughout a range. That could be a problem, though, with multiband
radios.

Bill, K5BY

The typical tube radios usually had chokes at one end and trim caps for the
other band end and you had to go back and forth as the poster described.
There is a set for each band.

--
Brian Denley

Old January 8th 04, 03:59 AM
WShoots1

Brian: The typical tube radios usually had chokes at one end and trim caps
for the other band end and you had to go back and forth as the poster
described.
There is a set for each band. ..

That sounds like the high end receivrs.

The lesser ones I recall had trimmer capacitors for one end of the frequency
range and padder capacitors for the other.

Bill, K5BY
Old January 8th 04, 04:27 AM
Brian Denley

WShoots1 wrote:
Brian: The typical tube radios usually had chokes at one end and
trim caps for the other band end and you had to go back and forth as
the poster described.
There is a set for each band. ..

That sounds like the high end receivrs.

The lesser ones I recall had trimmer capacitors for one end of the
frequency range and padder capacitors for the other.

Bill, K5BY

Bill:
You could be right. I was using, my HQ-150 as an example but the SX-28 is
the same as I recall.

--
Brian Denley

Old January 8th 04, 06:32 AM
starman

Brian Denley wrote:

WShoots1 wrote:

Brian: The typical tube radios usually had chokes at one end and
trim caps for the other band end and you had to go back and forth as
the poster described.
There is a set for each band. ..

That sounds like the high end receivrs.

The lesser ones I recall had trimmer capacitors for one end of the
frequency range and padder capacitors for the other.

Bill, K5BY

Bill:
You could be right. I was using, my HQ-150 as an example but the SX-28 is
the same as I recall.

The early boatanchors used air core coils (non-adjustable) with padder
cap's for the low end and trimmer caps' on the high end. Newer models
used ferrite core coils (adjustable) which eliminated the padder caps'
and greatly improved the 'Q' (selectivity) of the tuned circuit.

superhet schematics aadu Homebrew 0 June 11th 04 09:48 AM
superhet alignment ? Henry Kolesnik Boatanchors 4 January 7th 04 03:51 PM
superhet alignment ? Henry Kolesnik Homebrew 8 January 7th 04 03:51 PM
superhet alignment ? Henry Kolesnik Homebrew 0 January 6th 04 09:24 PM
HQ100 Alignment Procedure? DesignGuy Boatanchors 0 October 27th 03 02:21 PM