Old January 10th 04, 01:10 AM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

Default 8425 USB mystery signals

(Sorry about the new thread, I deleted the old one from my newsreader already
because I wasn't hearing anything.)

I'm currently hearing, just barely, a series of warbling tones of about the same
length, with what sounds like Morse code in between each series. If someone can
copy the code, it might give us a clue where this signal is coming from.

Old January 10th 04, 02:17 AM
Carl / W5SU

The Morse code (cw) signal in between the "warbles" spells out "NMC".
Probably the callsign of a Coast Guard Station, or something like that.
The warbles are a digital signal of some sort...TOR, PACTOR or
something...I haven't really messed with that sort of thing in a while.
With the appropriate software, you can feed that into the sound card of
your computer and characters will display on your monitor. It will
probably say something that translates into standing by for traffic. - -
Just a guess on my part.

/Carl/W5SU
Dallas TX

Old January 10th 04, 02:45 AM
Tim Brown

In article ,
"Jim Shaffer, Jr." wrote:

(Sorry about the new thread, I deleted the old one from my newsreader already
because I wasn't hearing anything.)

I'm currently hearing, just barely, a series of warbling tones of about the
same
length, with what sounds like Morse code in between each series. If someone
can
copy the code, it might give us a clue where this signal is coming from.

The warbling is SITOR. NMC call sign is a coastal station at Pt. Reyes,
California.
Old January 10th 04, 05:19 AM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 21:45:21 -0500, Tim Brown wrote:

The warbling is SITOR. NMC call sign is a coastal station at Pt. Reyes,
California.

Sounds like this isn't related to the mystery signal the original poster heard,
then. I wonder what they were doing on a Coast Guard frequency?

Old January 10th 04, 12:23 PM
N8KDV

"Jim Shaffer, Jr." wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 21:45:21 -0500, Tim Brown wrote:

The warbling is SITOR. NMC call sign is a coastal station at Pt. Reyes,
California.

Sounds like this isn't related to the mystery signal the original poster heard,
then. I wonder what they were doing on a Coast Guard frequency?

How many times must we ID this station?

Not really a mystery at all. I was listening a bit ago and the two tones that are
being sent are most likely test tones sent by the transmiter, mark and space
perhaps like RTTY, then heard it go into what seems to be a SITOR idle. Then heard
it ID as NMC which is the Coast Guard COMMSTA in San Francisco (Pt. Reyes), CA.

This at 1215 UTC.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B