Old January 12th 04, 07:32 PM
Gary

Default Grundig Sat 900 DEAD.........but.................

My source at Eton Corporation has told me they have dropped the name
of Satellit 900 for their new radio, and it will only be marketed as
the Eton E1 XM. I know that the website for CES 2004 had both the E1
XM AND the Satellit 900 as exhibits, so my guess is that the decision
was made based on input at CES -- but only a guess. The reason was
not given to me.

The E1 XM will have 3 bandwidths (7.0, 4.0, 2.5) and passband tuning
among all the other goodies, so it will be the only true portable on
the market that I know of with 3 bandwidths and passband tuning. The
price will be around $560US.

The target release date is now the middle of this year. My opinion --
better to keep moving the release date ahead and GET IT RIGHT the
first time.
Old January 13th 04, 07:45 AM
RHF

GA,

The Question may not be on the selection of the Filters; but on
"How Effective" the Pass Band Tuning will be with these Filters.
If the PBT is 'effective' with the 7kHz Filter? Then there is
the potential to shift or narrow the 7kHz Filter's characteristics
to suit the Radio Listeners Needs.

Plus the 7kHz Filter may be necessary as the Primary Filter for
the XM Satellit Radio feature to function properly and give full
audio sound. Radio Design is Full of Compromises

~ RHF
..
..
= = =
= = = (Gary) wrote in message . com...
(Mike Maghakian) wrote in message . com...
I do not like those choices of bandwidths, they MUST have a 6K selection

I think the 7.0, 4.0, and 2.5 are the ideal three if they are decent
quality. Of course these are nominal figures. The Satellit 800 has a
6.0, but in reality, tests show that from set to set, the filter
varied from 6.1 to 7.4.

The AOR 7030, an $1,800 desktop, has a 7.0, 5.5, and 2.2.

Depending on the quality of the filter, a good 7.0 is much better than
an average 6.0 filter. The 7.0 will give the added frequency
response. Hopefully the filter will have a sharp cutoff so as to keep
hets, etc. out.

The Sony 2010 has 9.4 and 4.3 filters, and the 60db cutoff of the 9.4
filter is at 17.9 - very poor.

The Kenwood 5000 came with a 6.3 wide filter with a 60db cutoff at
23.9 - terrible! Their optional more expensive filter was a 6.5 with
a 9.8 60db cut.

So whether 7.0 or 6.0 is "better" all depends on the quality of the
filter.

Old January 13th 04, 11:21 AM
starman

Gary wrote:

My source at Eton Corporation has told me they have dropped the name
of Satellit 900 for their new radio, and it will only be marketed as
the Eton E1 XM. I know that the website for CES 2004 had both the E1
XM AND the Satellit 900 as exhibits, so my guess is that the decision
was made based on input at CES -- but only a guess. The reason was
not given to me.

The E1 XM will have 3 bandwidths (7.0, 4.0, 2.5) and passband tuning
among all the other goodies, so it will be the only true portable on
the market that I know of with 3 bandwidths and passband tuning. The
price will be around $560US.

The target release date is now the middle of this year. My opinion --
better to keep moving the release date ahead and GET IT RIGHT the
first time.

Is $560US the MSRP or the typical discounted price?

Old January 13th 04, 04:18 PM
lord freepness

"starman" wrote in message
Gary wrote:

My source at Eton Corporation has told me they have dropped the name
of Satellit 900 for their new radio, and it will only be marketed as
the Eton E1 XM. I know that the website for CES 2004 had both the E1
XM AND the Satellit 900 as exhibits, so my guess is that the decision
was made based on input at CES -- but only a guess. The reason was
not given to me.

The E1 XM will have 3 bandwidths (7.0, 4.0, 2.5) and passband tuning
among all the other goodies, so it will be the only true portable on
the market that I know of with 3 bandwidths and passband tuning. The
price will be around $560US.

The target release date is now the middle of this year. My opinion --
better to keep moving the release date ahead and GET IT RIGHT the
first time.

Is $560US the MSRP or the typical discounted price?

Sorry 2-B sarcastic, but who in their right mind would
want to pay $560.00 just to hear WWCR, WWRB
and WHRI in "Hi-Fi" ?

Old January 13th 04, 04:28 PM
Gary

starman wrote in message ...

Is $560US the MSRP or the typical discounted price?

Exact comment from my source: "Pricing is around $560.00" so your
guess is as good as mine.
Old January 13th 04, 05:12 PM
starman

Gary wrote:

starman wrote in message ...

Is $560US the MSRP or the typical discounted price?

Exact comment from my source: "Pricing is around $560.00" so your
guess is as good as mine.

Considering where it's made I'd guess (hope) it will sell for under
$500. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get the bugs
out after it hits the market. All new receivers have some growing pains
and I'm sure the '900' or whatever they call it, will get some close
scrutiny by the tech' types.

Tecsun PL-230 (Grundig YB-550) Review (NEW RADIO) Judah Smith Shortwave 10 October 7th 05 02:32 PM
YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 12:34 PM
Comparision: Grundig 400 vs. Yaesu FRG-100 Dochuge Shortwave 5 January 13th 04 09:59 AM
Grundig Repairs The Axelrods Shortwave 12 July 17th 03 02:58 PM