Old January 13th 04, 04:43 AM
fnddf2

Default Sangean, best FM reception: DT-110, DT-200V, or DT-300VW?

Hello all, this is my first time posting, so please take pity on the
newbie.

Anyway, I was wondering if some more knowledgable hobbyists out there
could help me out with some information on the Sangean pocket radios.
Basically, I have been searching Google Groups in the
rec.radio.shortwave newsgroup archives for information and have seen a
lot of good reviews on the Sangean radios. I couldn't find specific
information on which radio had the best FM reception, though. Is there
anyone who has tried all these products and knows which radio gets the
best FM?

I have read reviews of the DT-110 which suggest that its radio
reception is better than the DT-200V's. What about the DT-300VW's radio
reception?

Also, I have been looking around at Amazon.com (which has all these
radios available), and many of the reader reviews regarding the DT-110
say that FM reception was poor with the DT-110. Are these people crazy,
or do they have a point?

My work place is a steel frame building, which seems to be very
unforgiving with the other radios of my co-workers. Specifically, the
radio station I am trying to get is 89.5 FM, based in South Orange, NJ
(central New Jersey). My workplace is in Hackensack, NJ (North Jersey,
near NYC). Do you think that any of these radios have a chance of
getting some reception in a steel building? (I remember one post
mentioning SOME reception from the DT-110.)

Sorry for asking so many questions at once, but any answers would be
greatly appreciated.

Gus

Old January 13th 04, 08:43 PM
Carel Kuijer

How about this multi brand review:

http://www.fixup.net/tips/pktradio/pktradio.htm

"fnddf2" schreef in bericht
nk.net...

Old January 14th 04, 12:58 AM
fnddf2

Carel Kuijer wrote:
How about this multi brand review:

http://www.fixup.net/tips/pktradio/pktradio.htm

Wow, there is a lot of information on the page, and I am sorting
through it as we speak. This should help me a lot, thank you for the help!

Gus
Old January 14th 04, 01:37 PM
RHF

GUS,

The Sangean DT-200V is rated as a top notch 'pocket' Radio for
AM/MW reception; a mini-DX-radio for the hiker or fisherman.
However, its FM Radio reception is only 'average'. And it has
an actual small speaker that can be used to listen to the radio,
besides the earbugs.

http://www.ccrane.com/sangean_dt200v...M_FM_index.asp

The DT-110 and Dt-300 may be better for FM Radio reception,
but they fall short when it comes to AM Radio reception.

http://www.ccrane.com/sangean_dt110.asp

http://www.ccrane.com/sangean_dt210v...M_FM_index.asp

http://www.ccrane.com/sangean_dt220v_in_am_fm_index.asp

http://www.ccrane.com/sangean_dt300v...M_FM_index.asp

~RHF
..
..
= = = fnddf2

Old January 14th 04, 01:46 PM
RHF

CK,

Thanks for the Link to the "X Y Computing and Network" WebSite.
GoTo= http://www.fixup.net/

It is interesting that Dr. Xin Feng, a former Chinese Rocket
Scientist has found and unique area of expertise on the Internet.
GoTo= http://www.fixup.net/about.htm

~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Carel Kuijer"

Old January 15th 04, 09:04 PM
fnddf2

RHF wrote:
GUS,

The Sangean DT-200V is rated as a top notch 'pocket' Radio for
AM/MW reception; a mini-DX-radio for the hiker or fisherman.
However, its FM Radio reception is only 'average'. And it has
an actual small speaker that can be used to listen to the radio,
besides the earbugs.

http://www.ccrane.com/sangean_dt200v...M_FM_index.asp

The DT-110 and Dt-300 may be better for FM Radio reception,
but they fall short when it comes to AM Radio reception.

http://www.ccrane.com/sangean_dt110.asp

http://www.ccrane.com/sangean_dt210v...M_FM_index.asp

http://www.ccrane.com/sangean_dt220v_in_am_fm_index.asp

http://www.ccrane.com/sangean_dt300v...M_FM_index.asp

~RHF

I see now, thanks. I think I will take Dr. Xin Feng's advice and get a
Sony pocket radio. I guess it's cheap enough so that I can readily
afford it, unlike the DT-200V which would be a more substantial
investment. If what you say is right, I'd probably be better off with
the Sony anyway.

Thanks for the helpful advice.

Gus
Old January 16th 04, 03:46 AM
RHF

GUS,

YES - If FM Reception and Stereo Sound if your focus then the
Sony's would be the radios for you.

But - If you are Looking for a AM/MW Mini-DX-Radio that Fits
into your Shirt Pocket for Hiker or a Fisherman then the
Sangean DT-200V would be the better choice.

In general no one radio or receiver does everything perfectly;
and small Pocket Size Radios like these are "NO" exceptions.
If anything it is more critical to understand these small
Pocket Radios strengths and weaknesses and choose accordingly.

Enjoy your new radio )

~ RHF
..
..
= = = fnddf2
= = = wrote in message ink.net...
RHF wrote:
[...]

Radios= http://www.fixup.net/tips/pktradio/pktradio.htm
Dr. Xin Feng= http://www.fixup.net/about.htm
RMR RMR rapid message recall RMR RMR rapid message recall RMR RMR

..
Old January 16th 04, 05:01 PM
David

My Sangean ATS606A has better performance (AM and FM) than my DT200V,
and it gets shortwave to boot.

Old January 16th 04, 09:08 PM
Tom Welch

I actually ordered a modified Sony pocket radio
from http://www.fixup.net/tips/pktradio/pktradio.htm
yesterday and own a Sangean DT 200 which I carry in
my briefcase. For the last week or so, I've been
listening to a new Grundig Mini World 200 I purchased
at Restoration Hardware for $29. I'm sure I'll enjoy
all 3 radios when I get the modified Sony next week.

I only buy pocket radios that use AA batteries. This
weekend I'm shopping for head phones. Any ideas???

Tom Welch
Old January 17th 04, 03:28 PM
Volker Tonn

Tom Welch schrieb:

I only buy pocket radios that use AA batteries. This
weekend I'm shopping for head phones. Any ideas???

For home use get the 'AKG-K141 monitor' or 'AKG-K240 monitor'.
These are often used on professional music production.
Maybe the K240 is discontinued...
The AKG's are _very_ comfortablble to wear and have outstanding good
sound and quality of manufacturing. A bang for the bucks.

odo