Old January 16th 04, 06:58 AM
Cliff at the Shack

Default TRY beacon on 261 kHz?

Heard at the Shack on the Bayou in southeast Texas:

0640, January 16, 2004 UTC

Beacon TRY on about 261 kHz

Does anybody have information on this one?

I had to copy it under LB on 263 (Lake Jackson, TX), but I'm pretty sure
that's the right ID.

It's not on Airnav or other sources.
www.airnav.com

A Google search for "NDB TRY" or "beacon TRY" produces trillions of
non-useful results since "try" is a word.

---------------------------
Registered Monitor BR549
The Shack on the Bayou www.ghg.net/cliffwatts/

Drake R8, Sony ICF-SW100, Heathkit GR-64 (retired)
Realistic Pro-2006, Bearcat BC-245XLT

Old January 16th 04, 02:01 PM
Dale Parfitt

"Cliff at the Shack" wrote in message
Heard at the Shack on the Bayou in southeast Texas:

0640, January 16, 2004 UTC

Beacon TRY on about 261 kHz

Does anybody have information on this one?

I had to copy it under LB on 263 (Lake Jackson, TX), but I'm pretty sure
that's the right ID.

It's not on Airnav or other sources.
www.airnav.com

A Google search for "NDB TRY" or "beacon TRY" produces trillions of
non-useful results since "try" is a word.

---------------------------
Nothing even close from 260-263 except TOY in Chile. I regularly hear S.

American beacons- but have not heard that one. My info is from Kevin Carey's
BeaconFinder.

--
Dale W4OP
for PAR Electronics, Inc.

Old January 16th 04, 10:28 PM
Jim Douglas

BTW Cliff I envy your shack on the Bayou! It looks like the type of place I
would love to retire to. How is the temp during the summer with humidity and
all!

Old January 17th 04, 04:38 AM
Cliff at the Shack

BTW Cliff I envy your shack on the Bayou! It looks like the type of place
I would love to retire to.

Well, the lot next door is for sale.

How is the temp during the summer with humidity and all!

It's very humid, but you get used to it after a decade or so.
People pay big bucks to visit Caribbean islands with similar climates.

But back to the subject at hand:
I heard the TRY beacon today with a better signal at about 1600 local time.
It can't be too far away.
I'm wondering if it may on a drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico.