Old January 18th 04, 02:48 AM
N8KDV

Default CKLW 800 kHz

This just forwarded to me, I have no idea of what time this will take
place... so don't ask! I'm checking!

Old January 18th 04, 03:19 AM
Maximus

I don't usually monitor Am broadcast band, but have wondered of late whether
some of the stations I used to hear as kid were still out there to pluck out
of the air :

KDKA Pittsburg, Who Des Moines are two that come to mind.

"N8KDV" wrote in message
[...]

----------

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old January 18th 04, 03:22 AM
Maximus

I just remembered another one: KCRL in Reno s.

Old January 18th 04, 04:51 AM
Robert Sillett

Both of the Ks in Pittsburgh are still on the air:

KDKA 1020
KQV 1410

KDKA used to be in C-Quam, but they dropped that years ago.

Bob

ink.net...

Old January 18th 04, 04:58 AM
Tony Meloche

Robert Sillett wrote:

Both of the Ks in Pittsburgh are still on the air:

KDKA 1020
KQV 1410

KDKA used to be in C-Quam, but they dropped that years ago.

Bob

"Maximus" wrote in message
ink.net...
I don't usually monitor Am broadcast band, but have wondered of late

whether
some of the stations I used to hear as kid were still out there to pluck

out
of the air :

KDKA Pittsburg, Who Des Moines are two that come to mind.

WHO in Des Moines - a prize catch to a kid in Detroit with a 5 tube
Admiral table radio forty years ago - is still right where it always
was, too.

Tony

Old January 18th 04, 01:13 PM
N8KDV

Did anyone have any luck with the CKLW silent period? I went to bed and did not stay up
to listen.

Old January 18th 04, 03:06 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Maximus wrote:
I don't usually monitor Am broadcast band, but have wondered of late whether
some of the stations I used to hear as kid were still out there to pluck out
of the air :

KDKA Pittsburg, Who Des Moines are two that come to mind.

KDKA and WHO are definitely still around.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/amq.html will bring up a search form, you
can type in the call letters & see if they're currently in use and by
whom. Or you can search on other criteria.

In general, all the big 50,000-watt U.S. stations that were on in the
1950s are still around. A small number have changed call letters since
then - for example, KRAK-1140 in Sacramento is now KHTK. WTAM-1100 in
Cleveland changed to WWWE -- then changed back to WTAM.

Actually, most of the smaller stations are still around too, though
they're far more likely to have changed calls. I would educated-guess
about 100 U.S. AM stations have gone silent since the 1970s.

The situation is very different in Canada. Many of the Canadian
stations you may have DXed in the past have moved to FM or gone silent.
Sometimes, other stations take over their dial positions. For
example, the CBC stations you listened to on 740 and 940 and the French
station on 690 are now on 99.1, 88.5, and 100.7 respectively - with a
nostalgia station and two commercial news-talk outlets having taken over
the AM frequencies.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old January 18th 04, 03:09 PM
RedOctober90

I heard WHO a year ago from my QTH in Northeast Pennslyvania with a GE
Superadio. Got A QSL fo the catch too.

CKLW a BIG powerhouse, always booming in to my area, as well as 900
CHML.

Tony Meloche wrote in message ...
Robert Sillett wrote:

Both of the Ks in Pittsburgh are still on the air:

KDKA 1020
KQV 1410

KDKA used to be in C-Quam, but they dropped that years ago.

Bob

ink.net...

Old January 18th 04, 03:22 PM
AbbN

Hi,

I only listen to CKLW the odd time during the week and on Saturday's between
2 - 4 pm to "Kim Komando". At the moment (10:25 am Sunday) it's coming it
quite strong.....
--
Take Care
Abb N

Old January 18th 04, 06:33 PM
donutbandit

Doug Smith W9WI wrote in
:

WTAM-1100 in
Cleveland changed to WWWE -- then changed back to WTAM.

Hey! You forgot KYW and WKYC.