Old January 18th 04, 06:43 PM
Dxluver

Default Question about types of speakers for shortwave.

I've been thinking about removing some speakers stacks I use. One I used for
the 140X and the other for the 129X, at first I really liked the sound. But
since I picked up a pair of some discontinued Radio Shack Amplified Speakers
(cat#40-1361) last summer at a garage sale for like ten dollars, I've kind of
been thinking about asking the group it's opinion and what it is they use or
what would they do if they were me? **No smart a** comments** ;-)

Those amplified ones are hooked to the DX394, actually I stopped listening to
that piece becasue of the sound, I tried my stacks that are hooked to my
Hammarlunds, but that didn't do it. Tried other combos and that stock speaker
absolutely is a crime that they even put it in there, really. But these
amplified ones take four c batteries and are 'extremely' heavy for two
speakers, I couldn't believe it, I felt like I stole them from that woman.
But it has made the 394 "come back to life." :-)

But between those and switching speakers on my scanner (BC9000XLT).....I used
to use the stock but it sucks plus the way I have it configured I had to use an
extension speaker. I went with the Rat Shack external speaker, I figured it
was good enough. But the other day I was cleaning out the closet in the radio
room ( I highly recommend it to everyone) I found stuff I forgot I even had
and actually some things that I don't remember where or who I got them from.

But I came up on a pair of *Aiwa* speakers that were used 'stock' ---pretty
sure in an Ford Taurus. I did a little cutting and soldering and baddabing, I
now have that one speaker hooked to the 9000 and WOW what a difference. On the
back of the speaker it says 40w with an 8 impedance. But I'm gonna keep that
setup.

Should I use the other one for one of my Hammarlunds? I KNOW there is more
than enough in one of those HQ's to drive one of those Aiwas, or would it
sound like sh*t? I just think that the speaker/speakers I have now run into
the Hammarlunds are too much and not really getting to *drive* them to their
full potential.

I'm no audiophile, and I know there is a few in here so I bow to the *sound
Gods* on this one. Like on Steve's setup with his Drake, I saw his modest
speaker. What about you Brian? You have some boatanchors like I do.
Shouldn't I go smaller and get the most out of the speaker or a lot of speaker
without it reaching it's potential.

**Sorry for the longer than usual post, looking forward to many replies.

Thanks,
DX
Old January 18th 04, 07:22 PM
Howard

On 18 Jan 2004 18:43:37 GMT, (Dxluver) wrote:

I've been thinking about removing some speakers stacks I use. One I used for
the 140X and the other for the 129X, at first I really liked the sound. But
since I picked up a pair of some discontinued Radio Shack Amplified Speakers
(cat#40-1361) last summer at a garage sale for like ten dollars, I've kind of
been thinking about asking the group it's opinion and what it is they use or
what would they do if they were me? **No smart a** comments** ;-)

snip

Should I use the other one for one of my Hammarlunds? I KNOW there is more
than enough in one of those HQ's to drive one of those Aiwas, or would it
sound like sh*t? I just think that the speaker/speakers I have now run into
the Hammarlunds are too much and not really getting to *drive* them to their
full potential.

I'm no audiophile, and I know there is a few in here so I bow to the *sound
Gods* on this one. Like on Steve's setup with his Drake, I saw his modest
speaker. What about you Brian? You have some boatanchors like I do.
Shouldn't I go smaller and get the most out of the speaker or a lot of speaker
without it reaching it's potential.

**Sorry for the longer than usual post, looking forward to many replies.

Thanks,
DX

DX,
While not a boatanchor owner I will share what I found when needing an
external speaker for an R75 (yes, with an R75 an external speaker is a
MUST). Tried a 4" RatShack widerange speaker (Optimus XTS 3, 7 watt
max) and it was okay; definitely enough powerr to drive and it gave
sufficient volume & clarity, mostly mid-range with moderately more
bass response than treble. Then for kicks hooked to a KLH 911 (5 inch
woofer, 1 inch tweeter, 100 watt max) and WOW! Yes, the speaker is
capable of handling much more power than the R75 offers but there was
sufficient power to drive it without having to crank up the audio.
The sound clarity was greatly improved and unless the bands are really
noisy most folks who hear it don't realize they're listening to
shortwave - "Naah, it sounds to good to come from far away" 8-} Do
keep in mind that the answer to this will vary depending on the
speaker; some just plain like to "suck watts" in order to get their
cones moving.

To answer your question, should you use what you put together with
your other HQ's, my best advise is to hook one up and judge the sound
quality yourself. Not trying to be flippant, but your ears know what
sounds good to them and you'll know by where you have to set your
volume if you're have enough power to drive it. I like to keep my
volume settings no higher than about a third of the maximum so the
amplifiers are running "where they are happier" as there tends to be
less distortion.

Hope this helps, and I too am looking forward to what others have
found.

Howard

Old January 18th 04, 07:58 PM
Maximus

My old Sony boombox died, but the speakers were fine, so I kept them. Using
an audio switch box, I can switch between the receiver, the television, the
vcr or the dvd as sound sources, so I can use the speakers for my dx394, and
it works very well. I had to set things up such that the dx394 could use the
speakers without using the component stereo system I have. With the
component system running, the receiver gets wiped out with RF, so I don't
use the amp with the receiver. It lacks bass, but it sound infinitely better
than what is provided in the receiver itself. The Sony speakers are about 3
inches diameter, so they do provide excellent sound quality, but it is
better than the receiver alone. Boom boxes I have looked at lack an
auxilliary input to allow you to use the amplifier, so if I were to upgrade,
I'd have to spend some money for a real stereo.

Old January 18th 04, 08:11 PM
Stinger

You're on the right track. The advent of computer users having better
multimedia sound cards has caused manufacturers to market some
great-sounding compact self-amplified speakers. And the great news is that
these speakers work extremely well with even portable radios, and are
available at prices significantly lower than you would have expected to pay
even a couple of years ago.

Creative Labs has teamed with Cambridge Soundworks to make some models, and
the collaboration has resulted in several excellent setups for listening to
shortwave radio. I've seen the 3-piece set at Wal-Mart for less than
$35.00. Trust me -- you WANT a subwoofer -- your radio is producing signals
that simply cannot be adequately reproduced by most table-top speakers, even
in MW and SW. You'll hear depth, clarity, and ambient studio
characteristics you would not be able to discern otherwise. Also, IMHO, you
would have to buy a Bose Acoustic Wave to rival the sound on my ATS-909 in
FM stereo using these speakers. It really sounds that good.

Another plus is that they're easily switched between radios. Plug them in
to your headphone jack and you're set to go (may need to get a std. to
stereo mini-plug adapter for some desktops). For more permanent
installations, you may want to build a simple switch to choose between
radios.

Happy listening!

-- Stinger

Old January 18th 04, 08:32 PM
David

These are nice Swiss Army amplified speakers. They make any radio
sound like a 1960 Grundig.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...z& type=store

Old January 18th 04, 08:33 PM
David

That's them.

Old January 18th 04, 10:20 PM
starman

Howard wrote:

[...]

Has anyone found a good replacement speaker for the OEM one in the R75?
What size is the original one?

Old January 19th 04, 12:40 AM
Tony Meloche

Howard wrote:

Has anyone found a good replacement speaker for the OEM one in the R75?
What size is the original one?

I use the RCA 40-5000, that rectangular "black box" with the black
steel-mesh grille that Radio Shack has sold forever under one name or
another. Works fine. Think I paid $19.00 for it.

Tony

Old January 21st 04, 12:07 AM
Dxluver

most folks who hear it don't realize they're listening to
shortwave - "Naah, it sounds to good to come from far away" 8-}

Yeah, I've had my folks and a friend mention that they couldn't believe that
was the V.O.T........coming in crystal clear through those amplifieds.

Not trying to be flippant, but your ears know what
sounds good to them and you'll know by where you have to set your
volume if you're have enough power to drive it.

Sure- sure- I know what you mean. While the 129X is down, I'll do that with
the 140X. The the things with the Hammars is that I KNOW there is more than
enough to drive one of these Aiwa speakers, no problem.

Hopefully it sounds sweet.

Thanks Howard:-)

Interesting question JAMES HAMPTON CB 3 December 7th 04 09:34 AM
Comprehensive list of tube base types? Simon Boatanchors 5 January 28th 04 01:01 PM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM
Question regarding police tactics and scanners noobie Scanner 0 July 29th 03 12:48 AM