Old February 1st 04, 12:24 PM
Peter Miller

Default Passband tuning or IF shift?

Hi folks,

Is there any difference between "passband tuning" and "IF shift", or
are these two different terms to describe basically the same thing?

If anyone could shed some light on this, I would be grateful...

Thanks,
Peter

Old February 1st 04, 03:56 PM
Cambio

See URL:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives.../msg00109.html

Sez

"Don't know what happened to my note from last night on this topic -
maybe I mis-addressed it. I found the answer to my question. Ten Tec uses
the "Kenwood" version - IF center frequency is shifted. (This is
covered in the QST review of the rig.) This means that as you move the
control to eliminate interference on one side of the signal, you may
uncover another signal on the other side as the passband is not narrowed
in this scheme, only moved. Passband tuning, as implemented on the
IC-765, 735, (others?) moves only one edge of the passband in toward the
center, depending on which direction you move the control out of the
center detent."
---------------------------
Have had several gurus explain it this way on several occasions. I believe
it to be correct.

--
73- Cambio - Keyboard To You

Old February 1st 04, 04:03 PM
Volker Tonn

Peter Miller schrieb:

If anyone could shed some light on this, I would be grateful...

On my NRD-525 the IF-shift is named PBS =PassBandShift.
The NRD-535 has additional PBT-option for to narrow down the bandwidth
continiously in a given range without having to to switch to another
IF-filter. So it's not the same thing.

odo

Old February 1st 04, 04:03 PM
Brian Denley

For 95% of receivers out there, passband tuning and IF shift are the same
thing. It is very uncommon for passband tuning to just shift one side of
the passband. Some of the Icoms do this but none of the others as far as I
know.

--
Brian Denley