Old February 8th 04, 01:54 PM
N8KDV

DinDin wrote:

"Don Putnick" wrote in message
link.net...
I received a letter today from the Station Manager at WSHB. Here are a
couple excerpts:

"I am very sad to have to write to you today, to let you know that we

will
cease our shortwave broadcasts on February 29, 2004"

"We are hoping that someone will come forward and purchase the station so
that we may continue our broadcasts, but so far we have not found anyone.
Should we be successful in finding a buyer, I will let you know as soon

as I
can."

WSHB RIP

...another redundant religious broadcaster goes bye-bye on shortwave.
pity it couldn't have been Brother Stair!

Over the years there were many times when I'd wished that WYFR would cease
transmitting.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old February 8th 04, 04:40 PM
Frank Dresser

"DinDin" wrote in message
groups.com...

...another redundant religious broadcaster goes bye-bye on shortwave.
pity it couldn't have been Brother Stair!

The Prophet says something big will be happening this year, probably in
May. It hasn't been revealed if these upcoming events will silence the
Last Day Prophet of God.

Frank Dresser

Old February 8th 04, 04:46 PM
Frank Dresser

"Telamon" wrote in message

Yes I also miss Monitor radio.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

I think AFRTS and Monitor Radio each did a good job of presenting
America in a way the VOA doesn't. As much as I enjoy domestic shortwave
radio, I'm not sure nonamericans have the cultural backround to seperate
the wheat from the chaff. Sorta like the false image "The Untouchables"
gave to Chicago.

Frank Dresser

Old February 8th 04, 10:28 PM
Jim Moats

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message ...
"WShoots1" wrote in message

Ah yes. I'd forgotten all about Monitor Radio. That was a classy,

informative
operation.

Bill, K5BY.

Yes, it was. Unfortunately, it cost more than the Church wanted to
spend. As I understand, attempting to run a TV operation really drained
their funds quickly. They still have the Christian Science Monitor, but
I haven't seen one of those papers in years. It did have a reputation
for first rate journalism.

Frank Dresser

According to a Boston " Globe " story last Thursday, CS church
officials plan to make changes to the print edition of the CSM
newspaper, as well as exploring the possibility of charging for
subscriptions for the online version. Church treasurer Walter D. Jones
said that the Church' s publishing and broadcasting division, the
Christian Science Publishing Society, must break even by 2008 and turn
a profit by 2009.
Old February 8th 04, 10:34 PM
N8KDV

"WShoots1" wrote in message

[...]

I really like it when those non-profit outfits start talking 'profit'.

At least I'm assuming they are a non-profit organisation.

Old February 9th 04, 11:13 AM
Tom Sevart

"tommyknocker" wrote in message

Now if only WWCR and WWRB would disappear...

Then shortwave wouldn't be any fun at all to listen to.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
Frontenac, KS

Old February 10th 04, 03:18 AM
Richard Cranium

"Tom Sevart" wrote in message ...
"tommyknocker" wrote in message

Now if only WWCR and WWRB would disappear...

Then shortwave wouldn't be any fun at all to listen to.

Actually, it'll be a lot more fun to listen to! Get rid of all the
fundamentalist profits and shortwave will prosper.
Old February 10th 04, 03:24 AM
Frank Dresser

"Richard Cranium" wrote in message
om...

Actually, it'll be a lot more fun to listen to! Get rid of all the
fundamentalist profits and shortwave will prosper.

Prosper in what way?

Frank Dresser

Old February 10th 04, 06:59 AM
Frank Dresser

"Tom Sevart" wrote in message

"Richard Cranium" wrote in message
om...

Actually, it'll be a lot more fun to listen to! Get rid of all

the
fundamentalist profits and shortwave will prosper.

Get rid of all the preachers but keep the conspiracy nuts! I always

enjoy
getting a good laugh out of them.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
Frontenac, KS
http://www.geocities.com/n2uhc

Without the preachers, how would you know the Freemasons worship
Lucifer? You do know that?

Frank Dresser