Old February 11th 04, 06:40 PM
Frank Dresser

wrote in message
Im thinking of dumping my cable TV. That will leave me with only two
local TV stations to get via an antenna.

Im considering buying a shortwave receiver that I can listen to while
doing things around the house.

Shortwave demands more listener involvement than standard AM and FM
broadcasting. The transmission schedules are shorter and the reception
isn't as depandable. Listeners have to retune their radios more
frequently.

Broadcast AM and FM and recorded music are more reliable sources for
entertainment.

Is there interesting programming available via shortwave?

Depends what's meant by interesting. There aren't any sitcoms like TV.
There's not much music like broadcast radio. International broadcast
stations oftentimes discuss world news and events and what wonderful
tourist attractions are to be found in their countries.

Most domestic US shortwave stations are dominated by low cost brokered
programming. Conspiracy theorists, evangalists, sellers of vital
doomsday supplies such as gold, water filters, and nostrums.

If you enjoyed the X-Files, you may enjoy domestic shortwave radio.

Is my idea
sound? What good receivers are worth looking at?

Don't spend alot on your first SW radio. Buy a good radio when you're
sure you'll enjoy the hobby.

Frank Dresser

Old February 11th 04, 07:37 PM

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:54:04 -0500, N8KDV
wrote:

Sounds to me like you may be more interested in one of those XM or
Sirius radios. (Radio via Satelite)

No....Im looking for something that doesn't cost.....thats why Im
dumping cable TV.....trying to cut expenses
Old February 11th 04, 08:09 PM
Maximus

My two cents worth s. Yes. The problem is that you cannot guarantee
reception or that the signal will be intelligible - that is up to Mother
Nature. Many major broadcasters are in countries that used to have colonies,
and they broadcast to those former colonies with news and features of
interest to them, and we can hear some of those transmissions evenif they
are not beamed directly at us. France, Holland, Germany, Spain, Portugal all
broadcast in myriads of languages to their former colonies or even to area
of the US or other places where they may have citizens listening. Our own
Voice of America has news that you may not hear about on the PM TV news,
even if it is their own propoganda g. Whether you can understand the
language of a particular broadcast, you can certainly enjoy a variety of
good music. I like Radio New Zealand International of late 9.870 09:00 PST
(17:00 UTC), and Radio Nacional Da Amazonia has good music 11.780 late
afternoons. Maximus

"Chandler7600" wrote in message
YES! there is good programming to listen to on Shortwave;
Mostly ( IMHO) afternoon & night...

- Whats your Budget..?? How much can you spend to try it out..

Subject: Is shortwave a good alternative to cable TV?
Date: 2/11/2004 11:34 AM Eastern Standard Time
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:21:05 -0800, "Tom Sevart"
wrote:

He might miss those wonderful late-night infomercials, though... I mean,
where else can you learn to make millions by placing classified ads or
buying real estate? You know, if those things really work, why don't

they
make money that way instead of trying to sell the idea to everyone else?

So is there some good programming available to listen to on shortwave?

Old February 11th 04, 10:16 PM
tommyknocker

Diverd4777 wrote:

Yeah, sure, dump your Cable & go Shortwave....

I mean, are you really gonna miss home Shopping Network ? ?

Have you looked at how expensive cable is lately? And I bet he's only
got one cable provider so they probably charge highway robbery rates.
And what do they give you for your arm and leg-six home shopping
channels and ten movie channels?

Theres lots of good stuff on SWR;

Look at Sony 7600, YB400 and Sangean 505A for starters..

Since it sounds like he's in a rather remote location, he may want to
splurge for a used tabletop and a good outside antenna.

AND as far as " other "TV stations, try put up a Second / 3rd. 4rth
antenna & hooking them together..; & see what you can pick up ! !

Honestly, I don't watch too much TV except for local news. I get all my
international news from SW.

Dan

In article ,
writes:

Im thinking of dumping my cable TV. That will leave me with only two
local TV stations to get via an antenna.

Im considering buying a shortwave receiver that I can listen to while
doing things around the house.

Is there interesting programming available via shortwave? Is my idea
sound? What good receivers are worth looking at?

Old February 11th 04, 11:47 PM
Tom Welch

Today, you have many alternatives to
TV including web radio.

I've not owned a TV for over 10 years.

***********************************
* Tom Welch *
* HP Pavilion, Real Player, *
* Henry Kloss Model One Radio, *
* Kaito 1102, DX-399, Sony SRF-59,*
* Sangean DT-200V, Grundig Mini *
* World 200, Koss SportaPro *

New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 03:01 PM
Antenna cable loss query AES/newspost Shortwave 7 December 11th 03 10:55 PM
Shortwave signals on a simple $5.00 portable am-fm receiver? Drew Shortwave 8 November 5th 03 05:51 PM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM