Old February 12th 04, 05:00 PM

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:14:45 -0800, Altawaowr
wrote:

What part of the world do you live in?

Im in north Missouri
Old February 12th 04, 05:09 PM

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:58:12 -0800, Altawaowr
wrote:

The Kaito WRX911 is the perfect backpacking radio, buy it before REI
finds it, and sells it to you for $49 USD. It looks like their parent
maker sells them for $8 USD in china.

So should I start with this SW radio? Even if Im not really wanting
it for backpacking but home use?

I mean ....its so cheap how can I go wrong?
Old February 12th 04, 05:15 PM

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:58:12 -0800, Altawaowr
wrote:

I think you'll like the R-9700 DX,

How much does that one cost?
Old February 13th 04, 02:43 AM
tommyknocker

Frank Dresser wrote:

wrote in message
Im thinking of dumping my cable TV. That will leave me with only two
local TV stations to get via an antenna.

Im considering buying a shortwave receiver that I can listen to while
doing things around the house.

Shortwave demands more listener involvement than standard AM and FM
broadcasting. The transmission schedules are shorter and the reception
isn't as depandable. Listeners have to retune their radios more
frequently.

I know that I have to sit in front of my reciever to hear the news
clearly, and I've got a Yaesu. I especially have trouble with the
foreign accented English used by many SW stations. For example, Spain
has got a newsreader named Luis De Beneto (sp?) who talks with a Spanish
accent that's so thick it's hard to make out even when the signal is
good. I have to really concentrate on what he's saying for it to make
sense-he uses Spanish intonation on English words which creates a
mouth-full-of-mashed-potatoes effect.

Broadcast AM and FM and recorded music are more reliable sources for
entertainment.

I mainly use SW to get news and to "DX" (hear faraway stations not
beamed to my area, for newbies who don't know what that means). Also,
fans of unusual/rare music (Argentinian tangoes, Cuban jazz, Eastern
European folk music) like SW because it has all this and more. But if
you're looking for country or rap, you'll have better luck with FM.

Is there interesting programming available via shortwave?

Depends what's meant by interesting. There aren't any sitcoms like TV.
There's not much music like broadcast radio. International broadcast
stations oftentimes discuss world news and events and what wonderful
tourist attractions are to be found in their countries.

News is the most common format on SW, that and "features" that are
occasionally interresting.

Most domestic US shortwave stations are dominated by low cost brokered
programming. Conspiracy theorists, evangalists, sellers of vital
doomsday supplies such as gold, water filters, and nostrums.

If you enjoyed the X-Files, you may enjoy domestic shortwave radio.

I doubt it, having seen the X Files in its heyday. SW isn't Mulder and
Scully confronting aliens, it's middle aged white guys with Southern
accents ranting for hours. A couple are mildly interesting, such as Alex
Jones, but even Jones is no match to Art Bell. After a while you notice
that the preaching and conspiracy theorizing found on domestic SW has a
monotonal quality to it, like an interminable session with the worst
professor you had in college.

Old February 13th 04, 04:10 AM
Frank Dresser

"tommyknocker" wrote in message

If you enjoyed the X-Files, you may enjoy domestic shortwave radio.

I doubt it, having seen the X Files in its heyday. SW isn't Mulder and
Scully confronting aliens, it's middle aged white guys with Southern
accents ranting for hours. A couple are mildly interesting, such as

Alex
Jones, but even Jones is no match to Art Bell. After a while you

notice
that the preaching and conspiracy theorizing found on domestic SW has

monotonal quality to it, like an interminable session with the worst
professor you had in college.

It's not aliens, it's the Unified Conspiracy Theory, which seems to be
the backstory for many of the evangelicals and conspiratorialists, as
well as for Chris Carter.

Anyway, Mulder should have had at least one SW radio in his apartment.
Many of the one time characters should also have been SWLs.

Frank Dresser

Old February 13th 04, 05:00 AM
Gary

(RHF) wrote in message . com...
DiverD,

That's what I have Three (3) TV Antennas 'Stacked' on One Pole:
[ Over-the-Air FREE TV ]

# 1 = Bottom @ SF Sutro Tower (255*)
RadioShack VU-75 Antenna Mounted at 22 Feet
[ 18 Element Antenna - 50" Boom Length ]

# 2 = Middle @ San Jose (145*)
RadioShack VU-90 Antenna Mounted at 29 Feet
[ 32 Element Antenna - 80" Boom Length ]

# 3 = Top @ Sacramento (45* Plus 5* Tilt )
RadioShack VU-120 Antenna Mounted at 36 Feet
[ 37 Element Antenna - 120" Boom Length ]

In Central California, I have ONE antenna (Channel Master 1160A)
mounted on a 20-ft mast with rotor (on top of one-story house) and
pick up the following channels (*signal varies from weak to perfect):
3 - local
4 - local
6 - Sacramento
8 - local
*8 - Salinas
*10 - Sacramento
*11 - San Jose
12 - local
13 - local
14 - local
15 - local
*17 - Bakersfield
18 - local
*19 - Modesto
21 - local
23 - Bakersfield
24 - local
26 - local
27 - ?
29 - Bakersfield
30 - local
*31 - Sacramento
32 - local
33 - local
35 - local
*39 - Bakersfield
*40 - Sacramento
*42 - Concord
42 - local
43 - local
*45 - Bakersfield
*46 - San Jose
47 - local
49 - local
*50 - Santa Rose
51 - local
53 - local
55 - local
56 - local
*58 - Sacramento
*58 - Bakersfield
59 - local
61 - local
*65 - San Jose
66 - local
PLUS, once in a while:
2 - Oakland
5 - San Francisco
5 - Los Angeles
7 - San Francisco
7 - Redding
9 - San Francisco
9 - Los Angeles
9 - Redding
20 - San Francisco
44 - San Francisco
60 - San Francisco

The 1160A is so directional, I can pickup as many as THREE STATIONS ON
THE SAME CHANNEL, ALL CLEAR WITHOUT INTERFERENCE, JUST BY TURNING THE
ANTENNA.

See article I wrote: HOW TO SELECT THE BEST TV ANTENNA at:
http://129.8.204.40/~gary/antenna.pdf
This is a large file and can take a few minutes to download in pdf
format.
Old February 13th 04, 10:28 AM
RHF

GA,

Sound like a nice central location for Reception in general.

~ RHF
..
..
= = = (Gary)

New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 03:01 PM
Antenna cable loss query AES/newspost Shortwave 7 December 11th 03 10:55 PM
Shortwave signals on a simple $5.00 portable am-fm receiver? Drew Shortwave 8 November 5th 03 05:51 PM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM