Old February 15th 04, 12:25 PM
parkersmith

Default HELP BEFORE NOON EST 2/15

Hey everyone,
I just found your group because I am going to buy TODAY,without fail,a
SW radio and I need your help.I will check back every few hours and see
what people who actually know something say.
All I have is radio shack.I am in Chattanooga,Tn(welcome to hell),and
Best Buy here has nothing in stock.What do you guys suggest from the
wonderful world of Radio Shack?I went to their website,and it's down as
to what is in stock at particular stores,and I have about $200.
Also,I live in a house,and get do whatever when it comes to an
antennae,but what to buy,etc.,would really help.
I know this is asking a great deal,but also,how do I tune in/find
english programming?
I appreciate any help.....
Respond to group only or my web tv addy with a subject line about SW.
I am getting about 25 spam mails a day telling me how to increase my
penis size.
Maybe I should spend the $200 on that.(kidding)
Thanks,
Parker

Old February 15th 04, 01:03 PM
Volker Tonn

parkersmith schrieb:

Hey everyone,
I just found your group because I am going to buy TODAY,without fail,a
SW radio and I need your help.....

Why TODAY? And do you want a portable or a tabletop receiver?
For $200 you can get nice used equipment like a Yaesu FRG7700 or FRG8800
wich will outperform any portable by far.

odo

Old February 15th 04, 01:27 PM
Sanjaya

"parkersmith" wrote...
Hey everyone,
I just found your group because I am going to buy TODAY,without fail,a
SW radio and I need your help.I will check back every few hours and see
what people who actually know something say.
All I have is radio shack.I am in Chattanooga,Tn

[snip]

Grundig YB400PE
$149.99 + tax at Radio Shack

Old February 15th 04, 02:06 PM
Diverd4777

Hi Parker:

Check at this sto

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable.html

I've bought stuyff htere & they are quite good.

for $200, and never having had a Short Wave, check out the Sangean 505A

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/3505.html

- Here's a review of it by radio netherlands..

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/ats505.html

Radio SHack sold this model as the DX-404 ; I have 2 freinds who bought these &
loved them

An external antenna will help; 20 - 30 feet of wire strung out away from
electronic equipment & neat windows . / Outside with the end wrapped around
the Whip antenna usually does the trick.

as for programming, , most SWR come with a small program guide.
5.975 is the BBC from Antigua , tune around, or find a Huge magazine store and
look for Monitoring Times Magazine.

Else, you can go down to the " Barnes & Noble" & buy
" Passport To Worldband Radio" 2004 edition

Dan

-

Old February 15th 04, 02:41 PM
Diverd4777

Second ! !

If it's by Noon , get the Grundig YB 400 at radio Shack

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/yb400.html

- And a copy of " Passport To Worldband Radio"
or
"Monitoring Times
Or
" Popular Communications"

Dan

Old February 15th 04, 04:36 PM
Maximus

While you can get a cheap receiver from Radio Shack, you might be a whole
lot happier with something right out of the box which does not need
modification to function and satisfy.

Old February 15th 04, 04:48 PM
Diverd4777

Max:

This is a newbie getting his first radio;
Not a grizzled SW Warrior, who's " Been There, Done That"

This is someone going on his first date
Not an aged rocker dating " Yet Another Supermodel "...

Old February 15th 04, 04:48 PM
Diverd4777

Just Do It !!

In article et, "Jim Hackett"