Old February 16th 04, 11:16 PM
Tom Holden

Default AFRTS 7507 USB Off Freq?

Anybody confirm that this station is high by about 0.2 to 0.3 kHz? What an
odd freq. Wonder why it's not on a 5kHz multiple. Gets clobbered by 7510.
Using DX-394 and G5RV.

Tom

Old February 16th 04, 11:35 PM
N8KDV

Tom Holden wrote:

Anybody confirm that this station is high by about 0.2 to 0.3 kHz? What an
odd freq. Wonder why it's not on a 5kHz multiple. Gets clobbered by 7510.
Using DX-394 and G5RV.

Tom

Seems to be on freq. here (7507).

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old February 16th 04, 11:37 PM
Maximus

I too have the same receiver and it is not aligned very well . I just
checked and did not hear anybody on either FQY. I live in Puget Sond country
near Seattle, Washington
La Dolce di Far Niente
.. .

Old February 17th 04, 01:35 AM
Tom Holden

N8KDV wrote:
Tom Holden wrote:

Anybody confirm that this station is high by about 0.2
to 0.3 kHz? What an odd freq. Wonder why it's not on a
5kHz multiple. Gets clobbered by 7510. Using DX-394 and
G5RV.

Tom

Seems to be on freq. here (7507).

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Just wondered. Two DX-394's read the same 7507.2 kHz. I had aligned both
using a 25kHz harmonic marker generator from my Drake R4B and with an audio
spectrum analyser on my pc, to what I thought was an accuracy of +/-100 Hz.
But WWV also shows zero beat on USB at 5000.1 kHz on one and 5000.0 kHz on
the other so maybe there has been some drift. Finding an accurate frequency
at something other than a multiple of 5kHz tests the accuracy of the 2nd
local oscillator which tunes only over the same 5kHz range. This AFRTS USB
transmitter drew my attention when I could hear it chattering next to a
strong DSBAM station on 7510. I'll trust your Drakes to be more accurate
than my DX-394's!

Tom

Old February 17th 04, 01:58 AM
N8KDV

Tom Holden wrote:

N8KDV wrote:
Tom Holden wrote:

[...]

Yes, all the Drakes are pretty much spot on here. Always pays to do a 'proof of
performance' test every now and then though.

Old February 17th 04, 02:05 AM
Tony Meloche

Tom Holden wrote:

N8KDV wrote:
Tom Holden wrote:

Anybody confirm that this station is high by about 0.2
to 0.3 kHz? What an odd freq. Wonder why it's not on a
5kHz multiple. Gets clobbered by 7510. Using DX-394 and
G5RV.

Tom

Seems to be on freq. here (7507).

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

I am marking it "fine-tuned" at exactly 7507.00kHz. However, I have
also marked it "fine tuned" at 7507.02 on several other occasions. Icom
R-75.

Tony

Old February 17th 04, 02:50 AM
Brenda Ann

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message
I am marking it "fine-tuned" at exactly 7507.00kHz. However, I have
also marked it "fine tuned" at 7507.02 on several other occasions. Icom
R-75.

Anyone know what the allowable deviation from center is at those
frequencies? I know on BCB it's 20 Hz, and on FMBCB it's 2KHz (not counting
modulation, only carrier deviation from center frequency allocation).
Perhaps 100 Hz is within the specs for a 7MHz station? the other 100Hz is
fudge factor in most any receiver (even those that will tune in 1 or 10 Hz
increments, for the most part).

Old February 17th 04, 07:22 AM
Mark Keith

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message ...
"Tony Meloche" wrote in message
I am marking it "fine-tuned" at exactly 7507.00kHz. However, I have
also marked it "fine tuned" at 7507.02 on several other occasions. Icom
R-75.

Anyone know what the allowable deviation from center is at those
frequencies? I know on BCB it's 20 Hz, and on FMBCB it's 2KHz (not counting
modulation, only carrier deviation from center frequency allocation).
Perhaps 100 Hz is within the specs for a 7MHz station? the other 100Hz is
fudge factor in most any receiver (even those that will tune in 1 or 10 Hz
increments, for the most part).

Dunno, but 100 hz is pretty sloppy. They should be able to handle that
no problem. Heck, my amateur station is probably never more than 10 hz
off from my readout. Usually less than that...Depends on what part of
the spectrum I'm tuned.."skewing" Peoples ears vary, but I can tell
being off 10-20 hz just from the sound of the signal. Will be "off" a
bit. 40 hz is WAY! off to my ears and will sound very out of tune. My
icom tunes single hz, and using WWV's I can tell down to the single
cycle how far off I am throughout the spectrum. IE: 2.5,5,10,15,20
etc... Will vary due to the skew. I usually tune my radio to be
perfect at 10 mhz. Will be a tiny bit low below that freq, and a tiny
bit high, above. I just did a test right now at 10 mhz...I'm reading 5
cycles high tonight. But the room is slightly colder than normal and I
haven't set it in a few months...Being I don't have the high stability
xtal osc, mine will vary a bit due to temp changes. I don't sweat 5
cycles. It's basically unnoticable to even my picky ears... MK