Old February 18th 04, 05:25 AM
Jason

Default DX-398 and External Antenna

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help. I have a DX 398 and just picked up an external
antenna and AM reception is worse with the antenna plugged into the external
antenna jack. How could this be ? Even on local AM stations the reception
almost disappears, why would this happen ? I am in a spot where AM
reception is really bad but shouldn't it improve with the external antenna,
not get worse.

If any one could help I would appreciate it.

thanks.

Jason

Old February 18th 04, 06:25 AM
brun

Jason,

I have an identical experience with the ATS-909 and using an external wire
in the plug. I can't give you a precise technical explanation but I think
it's related to the length of the wire vs. the internal rod being properly
tuned to the band.

That radio with a Select-A-Tenna or similar loop has excellent performance
on the AM broadcast band and I have many excellent catches with that combo,
so don't despair The gain knob and the signal meter on the radio and the
directionality of the S-A-T really make it possible to hear some good DX.

Old February 18th 04, 06:56 AM
Gray Shockley

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:25:16 -0600, Jason wrote
(in message ):

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help. I have a DX 398 and just picked up an external
antenna and AM reception is worse with the antenna plugged into the external
antenna jack. How could this be ? Even on local AM stations the reception
almost disappears, why would this happen ? I am in a spot where AM
reception is really bad but shouldn't it improve with the external antenna,
not get worse.

If any one could help I would appreciate it.

thanks.

Jason

This is the skinny:

The tip goes to the antenna terminal and the sleeve goes to ground, just as
you would expect in this unbalanced antenna input. Shortwave signals are
routed from the external antenna jack when a connector is plugged in.

The ring--the terminal in the middle of the plug--has a special purpose. When
you ground it, medium wave signals are also routed from the external jack
instead of the radio's internal loopstick. This is why some people have
reported poor MW reception when they use regular 1/8" mono patch cables to
connect their antennas.

But for medium wave DXers, this is an opportunity to connect their favorite
antennas to the radio; the lack of a good MW antenna connection has made some
otherwise good radios less than desirable.

If you prefer to use the internal loopstick for MW, simply leave the ring of
the plug unconnected.

And the URL for this is:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/radio/sangean/909tech.html#extant

Whole thing very much worth reading.

/gray/

Old February 18th 04, 09:51 AM
CW

You didn't say what kind of antenna it was. If it was on of the wind up
portable wires, that's the problem. It will work fine for shortwave but for
medium wave (AM) it is way to short. It will make reception worse.

Old February 18th 04, 01:22 PM
Maximus

Is there an actual solid connection to the radio for the antenna wire ? If
the ocnnection isn't solid, that might explain the bad reception.
La Dolce di Far Niente

Old February 18th 04, 11:12 PM
Jim Douglas

Ok, I have requested about 20 different samples, on their dime....just
kidding, wonder if they would.

Old February 20th 04, 06:09 AM
Jason

Thanks for the quick response everyone !! Very good suggestions and the
link to the site about this radio is excellent.

I appreciate it.

--Jason

Old February 20th 04, 09:59 PM
RedOctober90