Old February 21st 04, 08:09 PM
Pete KE9OA

What was causing the problem? At first, I thought it might be an external
mixing spur, where the CHU signal was mixing with a MW broadcast station in
a rusty rain gutter. That does occur in my area, since I am in close
proximity to three 50kW MW broadcasters.

Pete

"N8KDV" wrote in message

Tony Meloche wrote:

N8KDV wrote:

Picking up CHU here on 6075 at 1410. Hearing it on 3 receivers.

Perhaps
a transmitter problem?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

?!?!?!?!? I'm getting CFRB, Toronto (normally 1010 AM) quite
clearly on that frequency! No sign of CHU. 1500 hours.

If you're getting CFRB on 6075 you'd better check that receiver! ;-)

I think I've figured out my problem here.

Tony

News==----

Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption =---

Old February 21st 04, 08:21 PM
N8KDV

Pete KE9OA wrote:

What was causing the problem? At first, I thought it might be an external
mixing spur, where the CHU signal was mixing with a MW broadcast station in
a rusty rain gutter. That does occur in my area, since I am in close
proximity to three 50kW MW broadcasters.

The rusty raingutter theory may hold some weight! I've had some problems before
along the same lines with what I believe is my neighbours metal barn siding.

Getting some mixing products here with my local on 1260, that's the problem.

Pete

Old February 21st 04, 08:52 PM
Telamon

In article ,
N8KDV wrote:

Pete KE9OA wrote:

What was causing the problem? At first, I thought it might be an external
mixing spur, where the CHU signal was mixing with a MW broadcast station in
a rusty rain gutter. That does occur in my area, since I am in close
proximity to three 50kW MW broadcasters.

The rusty raingutter theory may hold some weight! I've had some
problems before along the same lines with what I believe is my
neighbours metal barn siding.

Getting some mixing products here with my local on 1260, that's the
problem.

Before you go off blaming a rusty rain gutter look for problems
somewhere on your long horizontal wire like ice or crud across
insulators.

The UNUN box and coax lead-in cable electrical connections could be
loose or have cracked solder connections.

If that looks OK then the distribution amp might be the problem. Take it
off line and see if the problem goes away.

A local AM station could be in the AC power supply. Do you have a power
line filter to your radios?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old February 22nd 04, 06:23 AM
Pete KE9OA

When we were kids, we would also run into that problem. At several spots on
the MW band, the images would pop up, and then disappear. There would be a
clicking noise when they would start up, as if a switch was being turned on.
It didn't occur to us back then that maybe the wind was blowing some sort of
rusty metal junction, such as a rain gutter, until I read about that
possibility several years later.

Pete

"N8KDV" wrote in message

Tony Meloche wrote:

N8KDV wrote:

Picking up CHU here on 6075 at 1410. Hearing it on 3 receivers.

Perhaps
a transmitter problem?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

?!?!?!?!? I'm getting CFRB, Toronto (normally 1010 AM) quite
clearly on that frequency! No sign of CHU. 1500 hours.

If you're getting CFRB on 6075 you'd better check that receiver! ;-)

I think I've figured out my problem here.

Tony

News==----

100,000