Old February 23rd 04, 04:43 PM
Stephan Grossklass

Default Tuning SSB with no selectable sideband?

Hi all,

this may seem a pretty n000bish question, but how exactly do I have to
imagine tuning in SSB station on a radio that has SSB but no selectable
sideband? How does one obtain some sideband separation there? (Excuse
me, I grew up with a Sony 7600G.
Example: Imagine you have two stations in LSB, the one you want to hear
on the frequency x and another on x + 3 kHz, both equally strong. With
the receiver tuned to frequency x (and the fine tuning knob being in
zero position), could I hear both at the same time, with the second one
being "upside down"?

TIA,
Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xCel300A, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, GF2MX AGP 32 MiB, 110W
Old February 24th 04, 10:33 AM
Mark Keith

Stephan Grossklass wrote in message ...
Hi all,

this may seem a pretty n000bish question, but how exactly do I have to
imagine tuning in SSB station on a radio that has SSB but no selectable
sideband? How does one obtain some sideband separation there? (Excuse
me, I grew up with a Sony 7600G.
Example: Imagine you have two stations in LSB, the one you want to hear
on the frequency x and another on x + 3 kHz, both equally strong. With
the receiver tuned to frequency x (and the fine tuning knob being in
zero position), could I hear both at the same time, with the second one
being "upside down"?

TIA,
Stephan

No. Both are LSB. It's been years since I used a radio without
selectable sideband, "Hammerlund HQ-110" but I don't remember there
being a problem separating stations. The only weird part is you have
to get used to hearing both sidebands, and getting in the babit of
tuning the proper side. If you had a LSB signal and a USB 3 below
that, then you would be overlapping. But thats the case even with
selectable sideband. Most signals opposite sideband should be fairly
well suppressed, so you don't hear the other side near as strong as
the one you are listening to. DSB, or AM, you would hear both sides
equally. MK