Old November 6th 03, 06:48 PM
Pierre L

Default Anyone else like analog tuning

I have two very good digital tuning shortwave radios, one with synchronous
sideband, but I find myself choosing to play with and listen to the little
analog tuning portable I have most of the time. I like to be able to scan
the bands by hand with the dial and to see where I am. When I let the
digital do this automatically, it just doesn't seem the same. I just don't
derive the same pleasure from the digital tuning, and I have no plans to
ever be a part of digital radio.

Anyone else feel like that? Maybe it's because my first shortwave was in the
1960's.

Pierre

Old November 6th 03, 07:22 PM
Gray Shockley

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 12:48:19 -0600, Pierre L wrote
(in message ):

I have two very good digital tuning shortwave radios, one with synchronous
sideband, but I find myself choosing to play with and listen to the little
analog tuning portable I have most of the time. I like to be able to scan
the bands by hand with the dial and to see where I am. When I let the
digital do this automatically, it just doesn't seem the same. I just don't
derive the same pleasure from the digital tuning, and I have no plans to
ever be a part of digital radio.

Anyone else feel like that? Maybe it's because my first shortwave was in the
1960's.

Pierre

I /love/ digital tuning.

All the sw radio's I had in the fifties and sixties were, of course, analog
and I can remember having QSLs refused because I was a little off on the
stations' transmit frequency.

Perhaps my favorite feature of digital control is that it makes possible
memories which I use a whole lot.

But at least three out of my four sw radios /have/ analog tuning so - if I
feel like it - I can "scan the bands".

Gray Shockley
-----------------------
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399
CCradio w/RS Loop
Torus Tuner (3-13 MHz)
Select-A-Tenna
-----------------------
Vicksburg, MS US

Old November 6th 03, 09:46 PM
Frank Dresser

"Pierre L" wrote in message
.. .
I have two very good digital tuning shortwave radios, one with

synchronous
sideband, but I find myself choosing to play with and listen to the

little
analog tuning portable I have most of the time. I like to be able to

scan
the bands by hand with the dial and to see where I am. When I let the
digital do this automatically, it just doesn't seem the same. I just

don't
derive the same pleasure from the digital tuning, and I have no plans

ever be a part of digital radio.

Anyone else feel like that? Maybe it's because my first shortwave was

in the
1960's.

Pierre

I prefer analog tuning if the tuning mechanism has a minimal amount of
drive friction and backlash. Flywheel tuning is a nice bonus. Some of
the analog tuning radios are pretty stiff and/or sloppy, though.

I like to give the knob a quick spin, watch the indicator and hear which
bands are hot. It's not the same with a digital set, especially the
ones the chuff with tuning.

I'm sure digital would suit me better if I were DXing or QSLing. Mostly
now, I just park it on a good clear signal and listen to the
programming.

Frank Dresser

Old November 6th 03, 09:47 PM
Mark Harper

In article , pierrot51
@hotmail.com once wrote .......
I have two very good digital tuning shortwave radios, one with synchronous
sideband, but I find myself choosing to play with and listen to the little
analog tuning portable I have most of the time. I like to be able to scan
the bands by hand with the dial and to see where I am. When I let the
digital do this automatically, it just doesn't seem the same. I just don't
derive the same pleasure from the digital tuning, and I have no plans to
ever be a part of digital radio.

Anyone else feel like that? Maybe it's because my first shortwave was in the
1960's.

I'm not really fussed either way, Digital is obviously better for utility
and data....

However I do like analogue meters - none of these marker/counter digital
types - and to think i part-ex an R-2000 for an R-75 - I should have kept
the 2000 and still bought the 75!

--
Mark (MW1MDH)
Old November 6th 03, 10:51 PM
Diverd4777

I have three sets,
two digital & one analogue with a Digital readout.

The analogue is fine for " scanning the bands" to see who'se broadcasting right
now..
- But I Love the combination Tuning Knob / Digital readout on my R-75;
and all the memories.. ! ! !

For a portable, the Sangean 606A with 50+ memories & a Digital readout is about
perfect.. I don't know how you'd incorporate an accuate tuning knob into such a
small , inexpensive set

Dan

In article , "Pierre L"

Subject: Anyone else like analog tuning

Old November 7th 03, 03:16 AM
RHF

Pierre,

If by "Analog Tuning" you mean a Main Tuning Knob that you can turn
and click off the the Hz one by one: Then the Answer is Y E S !

Being "Limited" by Up and Down Tuning Buttoms that only spet-up or
step-down a fixed number of kHz leaves me feeling that I have missed
something that may have been 'in-between-everything'.

Memories and Pre-Sets are nice to recall those "Finds" that have been
Found.
- But it the "Joy-of-Finding" the FIND that for Me is the Fun and
Mystery of Shortwave Listening.
- - That monent in time when you say - What's That ?
- - - As Your Mind Comes Alive !

Memories in the corner of My Mind :
- A Magical Watercolor of Sounds.
- - A Staccato of Static and Noise.
- - - The Silence in the In-Between.
The Mind "Wraps" It All into One !
.. . . memories, Memories. MEMORIES !

~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Pierre L"

Old November 7th 03, 11:11 AM
N8KDV

RHF wrote:

Pierre,

If by "Analog Tuning" you mean a Main Tuning Knob that you can turn
and click off the the Hz one by one: Then the Answer is Y E S !

Being "Limited" by Up and Down Tuning Buttoms that only spet-up or
step-down a fixed number of kHz leaves me feeling that I have missed
something that may have been 'in-between-everything'.

Memories and Pre-Sets are nice to recall those "Finds" that have been
Found.
- But it the "Joy-of-Finding" the FIND that for Me is the Fun and
Mystery of Shortwave Listening.
- - That monent in time when you say - What's That ?
- - - As Your Mind Comes Alive !

Memories in the corner of My Mind :
- A Magical Watercolor of Sounds.
- - A Staccato of Static and Noise.
- - - The Silence in the In-Between.
The Mind "Wraps" It All into One !
. . . memories, Memories. MEMORIES !

What blend are you smoking these days? :-)

~ RHF
.
.
= = = "Pierre L"

Old November 7th 03, 01:22 PM
Robert Herschbach

I'd like to be able to listen for transatlantic MW stations on my car radio
while driving, but that's hard to do since digitally tuned car radios only
give you the 10khz spacing. That might be an example where analog had some
benefits.

.. .

Old November 7th 03, 03:12 PM
Jim Hackett

You hit the nail on the head with your assessment!

"Frank White" wrote:

Digital is good for when you know where you want to go.
Analog is for finding out what's out there.

FW