Old February 23rd 04, 07:34 PM
Mike Mauch

Default Sangean ATS909 comments?

I'm new to SW and was looking at getting a ATS909 does anyone have any
feedback on this receiver? The other one I'm looking at is the YB400.

Thanks,

Mike

Old February 23rd 04, 08:21 PM
Neil Bell

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:34:22 -0800, "Mike Mauch"
wrote:

I'm new to SW and was looking at getting a ATS909 does anyone have any
feedback on this receiver? The other one I'm looking at is the YB400.

Thanks,

Mike

Go with the Sangean - hands down, IMHO

NB
Neil Bell

For e-mail replies remove the "notreally."

|----------------------------------------------------------|

|----------------------------------------------------------|
Old February 23rd 04, 08:32 PM
Newsgroup Lurker

If you find a cheap RadioShack DX-398, it is the same thing.

I am kicking myself now at selling my DX-398 and am looking to buy one
again.

Ah well, you learn from your mistakes right?

Old February 23rd 04, 09:26 PM
Gray Shockley

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:34:22 -0600, Mike Mauch wrote
(in message ):

I'm new to SW and was looking at getting a ATS909 does anyone have any
feedback on this receiver? The other one I'm looking at is the YB400.

Thanks,

Mike

I have a "DX-398" (RadioShack branded ATS-909) and think it is a fine radio -
not perfect (but then neither am I) but really excellent.

I've looked at various "YachtBoys" and, while I saw nothing "bad" about them,
I've never had the desire to add one to my radio assortment. The "YD's" seem
to be "okay".

Gray Shockley
----------------
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399
CCradio+ w/RS Loop
Justice AM Antenna
Torus Tuner (3-13 MHz)
Select-A-Tenna
---------------------
Vicksburg, MS US

Old February 23rd 04, 09:57 PM
Stephan Grossklass

Mike Mauch schrieb:

I'm new to SW and was looking at getting a ATS909 does anyone have any
feedback on this receiver? The other one I'm looking at is the YB400.

I would suggest looking at articles like this one:
http://www.radiointel.com/portwars.htm
YB-400PE vs. ICF-SW7600G vs. ATS-909
(Do note that some people sell modified ATS-909s with various
improvements.)

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xCel300A, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, GF2MX AGP 32 MiB, 110W
Old February 23rd 04, 10:28 PM
T. Early

"Mike Mauch" wrote in message
I'm new to SW and was looking at getting a ATS909 does anyone have

any
feedback on this receiver? The other one I'm looking at is the

YB400.

I like the 909, but since I'm permanently $$$-challenged, I liked the
identical Radio Shack DX-398 better for $100 less or so when it was
available. The Sangean is nice, and has adequate sensitivity with a
lot of features for the money, but, if the Sangean is over $200
($249?), I think the Sony 7600GR (which you didn't ask about but which
is on eBay) is a better value and also a fine portable.

Old February 24th 04, 12:02 AM
DeWayne

"Newsgroup Lurker" wrote in message
If you find a cheap RadioShack DX-398, it is the same thing.

I am kicking myself now at selling my DX-398 and am looking to buy one
again.

Ah well, you learn from your mistakes right?

It's not too hard to find a nice DX-398 for $100 to $125.
DeWayne

Old February 24th 04, 01:09 AM
LW

"Mike Mauch" wrote ...
I'm new to SW and was looking at getting a ATS909 does anyone have any
feedback on this receiver? The other one I'm looking at is the YB400.

Thanks,

Mike

If you can afford the difference get the 909. I have both radios -
the performance is about equal. In terms of features, (memories,
etc.) the 909 blows the 400 away.

If you can't afford the difference, the 400 ain't a shabby performer.
Actually a fine first rig - quite straightforward to operate.

You won't be disappointed with either radio.
Old February 24th 04, 03:32 AM
Mike Maghakian

I have a used DX-398 for $99 plus shipping. has carry case and copy of
user manual. it is in good working and cosmetic condition. email me
direct if interested