Old February 27th 04, 12:03 AM

Default Kaito 1102 - 1101 , What's the difference ?

I am just a novice and interested in SW radio . I donot understand
what does SSB stangs for . Does it cover music and news channels world
wide . I see a difference of $20 between the two on account of SSB .
Pl. help me learn .
Cheers ,
Anil
Old February 27th 04, 12:22 AM
Newsgroup Lurker

wrote in message
m...
I am just a novice and interested in SW radio . I donot understand
what does SSB stangs for . Does it cover music and news channels world
wide . I see a difference of $20 between the two on account of SSB .
Pl. help me learn .
Cheers ,
Anil

SSB:
Instead they use what is called Single Side Band or SSB. An AM signal which
you hear, such as from a typical International Broadcaster, is made of a
carrier, that's in essence the signal strength, and on both sides of this is
the modulation, or speech which you hear. Single Side Band on the other hand
only uses modulation on one side of the carrier, hence the name. If the
upper side is used, it's called Upper Side Band, with the lower it's Lower
Side Band. This results in a more efficient transmission, using less
bandwidth and is generally less prone to fading. As a result this is
favoured by those who are sending important messages, such as the military
or civil users mentioned and also the Radio Amateurs who require readable
signals over long distances. However, listening to a SSB broadcast does
require very precise tuning. Your radio may or may not have a SSB
capability. Listening to SSB transmissions on normal AM mode makes the audio
sound distorted and generally incomprehensible. If you own one of the radios
recommended at the beginning of this FAQ, costing at least £100 or 150,
then it more likely has SSB capability. In which case you can enjoy the
whole off-shoot of shortwave listening which is utility station listening.

Link for features of the 1101:
http://www.degen.com.cn/english/product_1101.html

Link for the features of 1102:
http://www.degen.com.cn/english/product_1102.html

Old February 27th 04, 12:25 AM
Newsgroup Lurker

Oops, here is the whole FAQ which is a good general page.
http://www.eurobahn.co.uk/%7Emedia/sw_faq.htm

m...