Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old December 4th 03, 03:34 PM
Kevin Croxen
 
Posts: n/a
Default Kaito WRX-911 quality control issues?

Anybody else had a quality control problem with those new Kaito WRX-911
models?

I just wanted something small, inexpensive, and light that I could carry in
my jacket pocket and listen to while walking to and from work, and picked a
Kaito WRX-911 in preference to a Grundig Mini-World 100 PE for this purpose
based on the comparative review on radiointel.com

But the Kaito arrived partly DOA, with some sort of intermittent connection
problem in the RF circuitry for AM MW that renders that one band unusable.
Worse, since I bought it from radios4you.com, who do not accept returns under
any circumstances, the brand-new radio, after its initial inspection and
before being used, needs to be launched directly at the warranty service
department at kaitousa.com

So now I'm just curious. Anyone else had troubles with these new Kaito
WRX-911's? Conversely, has anyone had problems out-of-the-box with the
equivalent Grundig Min-World 100 PE's ?

Regards,

--Kevin

  #2   Report Post  
Old December 4th 03, 05:11 PM
Kevin Croxen
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article , Kevin Croxen wrote:
Anybody else had a quality control problem with those new Kaito WRX-911
models?

I just wanted something small, inexpensive, and light that I could carry in
my jacket pocket and listen to while walking to and from work, and picked a
Kaito WRX-911 in preference to a Grundig Mini-World 100 PE for this purpose
based on the comparative review on radiointel.com

But the Kaito arrived partly DOA, with some sort of intermittent connection
problem in the RF circuitry for AM MW that renders that one band unusable.
Worse, since I bought it from radios4you.com, who do not accept returns under
any circumstances, the brand-new radio, after its initial inspection and
before being used, needs to be launched directly at the warranty service
department at kaitousa.com

So now I'm just curious. Anyone else had troubles with these new Kaito
WRX-911's? Conversely, has anyone had problems out-of-the-box with the
equivalent Grundig Min-World 100 PE's ?

Regards,

--Kevin


As a correction to the preceding, I have just been sternly informed over the
phone that I misinterpreted the paragraph on the web page
http://www.radios4you.com/payment.html that begins "All Sales Final. Sorry we
do not offer a satisfaction warranty and do not accept returns." I am
informed that my statement that radios4you.com does not accept returns "under
any circumstances" is incorrect, and that they will in fact accept a return
of the particular radio I purchased for a refund.

I apologize for the "under any circumstances" that I evidently incorrectly
adduced from the information on http://www.radios4you.com/payment.htm and
thank radios4you.com for their willingness to accept the return of this
particular Kaito-WRX-911 for a refund at the loss to the merchant of the
original $4.00 priority mail fee for shipping.


But now that all that is done, to return to the original query: has anyone
else had particular quality control problems with the Kaito WRX-911, and are
the equivalent Grundig Mini World 100 PE's known to have any particular
quality-control issues?

--Kevin
  #3   Report Post  
Old December 4th 03, 07:34 PM
reliccastiron
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Kevin Croxen" wrote in message
u...
Anybody else had a quality control problem with those new Kaito WRX-911
models?


First one question: Do the words "Made in China" appear anywhere
on this radio? If the product does have those '3 words' imprinted
anyplace on it, then quality control is out the window. The purpose of
Chinese electronics factories is to mass produce consumer goods
for the lowest cost on the planet. As a result, and as the old sage
goes: "You get exactly what you pay for". Remember when the
words "Made in Japan" and "Made in Hong Kong" was a subliminal
warning that the product so marked was of shoddy and/or cheap
manufacturer? This is what "Made in China" represents today.

Perhaps in a few Years with the importation of better tooling
materials, procedures, facilities this will go away. For now I would
avoid ANYTHING that runs off of electricity and comes from the PRC.
Take a look for example at all the product recalls listed at www.cpsc.gov
You will see that 70% of the items listed for recall came from China.

This should tell everyone something. Check those labels folks before
you trade your money for "new-in-the-box-JUNK".

  #4   Report Post  
Old December 4th 03, 11:01 PM
tommyknocker
 
Posts: n/a
Default

reliccastiron wrote:


"Kevin Croxen" wrote in message
u...
Anybody else had a quality control problem with those new Kaito WRX-911
models?


First one question: Do the words "Made in China" appear anywhere
on this radio? If the product does have those '3 words' imprinted
anyplace on it, then quality control is out the window. The purpose of
Chinese electronics factories is to mass produce consumer goods
for the lowest cost on the planet. As a result, and as the old sage
goes: "You get exactly what you pay for". Remember when the
words "Made in Japan" and "Made in Hong Kong" was a subliminal
warning that the product so marked was of shoddy and/or cheap
manufacturer? This is what "Made in China" represents today.

Perhaps in a few Years with the importation of better tooling
materials, procedures, facilities this will go away. For now I would
avoid ANYTHING that runs off of electricity and comes from the PRC.
Take a look for example at all the product recalls listed at www.cpsc.gov
You will see that 70% of the items listed for recall came from China.

This should tell everyone something. Check those labels folks before
you trade your money for "new-in-the-box-JUNK".


Yes, Kaito is one of a number of Chinese companies that have entered the
SW radio market in the past year. If the quality control curve of the
Grundig Satellit 800 (aka Tecsun Ham 2000) is any indication, it'll take
a few years to iron out all the QC bugs.


  #5   Report Post  
Old December 5th 03, 05:38 AM
WShoots1
 
Posts: n/a
Default

All three $20 AM/FM/SW jWINs I bought worked fine out of the box -- and are
still working.

Bill, K5BY


  #6   Report Post  
Old December 5th 03, 12:27 PM
Diverd4777
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Have a Jwin JX - M-14;

It's so good on batteries I use it as an FM radio
running the signal through spare computer speakers.
The Plastic square covering the Digital Display is not crystal clear;
- however, aside from a bit of overload occasionally
( Expected in a $15 radio)
I have no complaints

Dan


In article ,
(WShoots1) writes:

All three $20 AM/FM/SW jWINs I bought worked fine out of the box -- and are
still working.

Bill, K5BY



  #7   Report Post  
Old December 5th 03, 03:41 PM
EdT
 
Posts: n/a
Default

My WRX911 worked fine out of the box, but then again a sign of poor quality
control is that occasionally a good one gets through!
"Diverd4777" wrote in message
...
Have a Jwin JX - M-14;

It's so good on batteries I use it as an FM radio
running the signal through spare computer speakers.
The Plastic square covering the Digital Display is not crystal clear;
- however, aside from a bit of overload occasionally
( Expected in a $15 radio)
I have no complaints

Dan


In article ,


(WShoots1) writes:

All three $20 AM/FM/SW jWINs I bought worked fine out of the box -- and

are
still working.

Bill, K5BY





  #8   Report Post  
Old December 5th 03, 04:50 PM
Kevin Croxen
 
Posts: n/a
Default



An interesting possibility that hadn't occurred to me. But I notice that the
radiointel.com review underlines the JX-M14's selectivity issues, while in
size (I can't find its precise dimensions) it would appear and in the review
is described to be perhaps even a bit larger than the heavy-ish '80s-vintage
Emerson PSW4010 mini-portable that I have continued to carry around in my
briefcase for use at work. Is the JX-M14 beyond shirt or jacket pocket size
for the outdoor walking commute?

--Kevin

In article , Diverd4777 wrote:
Have a Jwin JX - M-14;

It's so good on batteries I use it as an FM radio
running the signal through spare computer speakers.
The Plastic square covering the Digital Display is not crystal clear;
- however, aside from a bit of overload occasionally
( Expected in a $15 radio)
I have no complaints

Dan


In article ,
(WShoots1) writes:

All three $20 AM/FM/SW jWINs I bought worked fine out of the box -- and are
still working.

Bill, K5BY



  #9   Report Post  
Old December 5th 03, 06:16 PM
Diverd4777
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article , Kevin Croxen
writes:

. Is the JX-M14 beyond shirt or jacket pocket size
for the outdoor walking commute?

--Kevin


Yep! I
put it in my shirt pocket & take it walking, bicycling, etc...

4 1/2 X ~3 X 1

I actually got a bunch of shirts with Two pockets sos I can trek it around,..
It is NOT ( I repeat, NOT) as good a radio as the
Sangean 606A;
- But it's lighter & smaller !!
Probaly work in Damp weather in a Ziplock Baggie
It's Digital tuning display is Very Useful..

  #10   Report Post  
Old December 5th 03, 08:20 PM
Kevin Croxen
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article , Diverd4777 wrote:
In article , Kevin Croxen
writes:

. Is the JX-M14 beyond shirt or jacket pocket size
for the outdoor walking commute?

--Kevin


Yep! I
put it in my shirt pocket & take it walking, bicycling, etc...

4 1/2 X ~3 X 1

I actually got a bunch of shirts with Two pockets sos I can trek it around,..
It is NOT ( I repeat, NOT) as good a radio as the
Sangean 606A;
- But it's lighter & smaller !!
Probaly work in Damp weather in a Ziplock Baggie
It's Digital tuning display is Very Useful..


Ah! About an inch and a half shorter than little old Emerson. And probably
about a third of the weight. Thanks for the information!

Regards,

--Kevin


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a page of motorola 2way 2 way portable and mobile radio history john private smith Policy 0 December 22nd 03 02:42 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Antenna 16 December 13th 03 03:01 PM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 03:01 PM
Kaito WRX-911 quality control issues? reliccastiron General 1 December 4th 03 11:01 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 RadioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Radio"

 

Copyright © 2017