Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 28th 04, 09:09 PM
Love2camp5

Default Received my new radio yesterday (long)

First of all, thanks for the advice I have received here and the answers to my
questions. You treated a newcomer very nicely.

I received my Sangean ATS818ACS Thursday. First thought out of the box was "IT
IS HUGE!" Of course, that was comparing it to my Grundig Yacht Boy 400.
Actually it is just slightly larger than our CCRadio, and not as bulky.

The box showed the black radio (yuck!) but it was indeed the metallic colored
one instead (yippee!) That is the color I preferred. (probably a girl thing!)

The hum on MW that I had on the YB is not present on the Sangean. The actual
reception on MW is slightly better on the Sangean, but the sound is so much
nicer and far more volume. I can work around the house and hear the radio just
fine; I guess a portable was just not for me.

The shortwave reception is much, much better than the YB. I have listened to
Radio China International, Radio Sweden, the BBC, and Radio Canada Intl. both
mornings - and with the YB I couldn't get any stations in well enough to
listen in the morning hours. ALso with the YB, no matter how strong the
station sounded, there was always that nice "sshhh" sound over top of the
signal. These strong SW stations come in crystal clear on the Sangean.

No success with SSB yet, I will have to fiddle with that and figure out how to
tune them in.

I am also getting FM stations like crazy. I am very pleased with the radio.

The cassette tape part of the unit works very well. The light stays on for
several seconds when you push the button; apparently no way to keep the light
turned on.

Since there is no "DX" or "Local" switch, does the "RF Gain" knob accomplish
the same thing?

The radio has such a long whip antenna that is hit the ceiling in my kitchen
with the radio on the counter. I can either not extend it entirely, or tilt it
a little.

Anyway, I am pleased. Yesterday morning I heard "Life in China" for the first
time. Interesting.

Now the Yacht Boy will be sold.

Thanks again,
Linda