Old March 1st 04, 02:38 PM
DEE

Default Tabletop (R75) vs PC controlled (320D) Opinion

I thought I had my mind all made up to purchase an Icom R75.
Then, a friend turned me on to PC controlled radios such as the
TenTec Rx-320D. Now I'm on the fence again. PC controlled seems
to offer a lot of bang for the buck. These two radios in particular
seem like comparitive values. I'd appreciate the groups input,
especially if you've acutally used the two modes.

Thanks
Old March 1st 04, 10:36 PM
Joe Strain

I have one and use it daily (RX 320) and log quite a few stations with a
modest antenna, but the DX 398 and Grundig R350 are fun to use in another
way, so dont dedicate your listening to computer-drivem methods.

There is a thrill tune tune it in yourself with a KNOB instead of as mouse.
Both radios RX 320 and REAL radios seem to acquire signals with equal
facility here.

Yodar

Yodar

Old March 1st 04, 10:37 PM
Bill Hennessy

Go with the Ten-Tec.

Bill, N5NOB

Old March 2nd 04, 12:09 AM
BW

DEE wrote in message ...
I thought I had my mind all made up to purchase an Icom R75.
Then, a friend turned me on to PC controlled radios such as the
TenTec Rx-320D. Now I'm on the fence again. PC controlled seems
to offer a lot of bang for the buck. These two radios in particular
seem like comparitive values. I'd appreciate the groups input,
especially if you've acutally used the two modes.

Thanks

Dee,

Although I have other hign end receiver such as JRC. I recently
purchased the RX320D. Very pleased with it's performance.
It does have in my opinion offer a good value for the money
and competes with Drake and JRC.

BW
Old March 2nd 04, 01:57 AM
Marvin Rosen

If you're going to use an outside antenna with
the RX-320D, the "possibility" of static electricity
buildup can "possibly" hurt the 320D as well as
the computer.

Old March 2nd 04, 02:31 AM
Charles Gillen

DEE wrote:

I thought I had my mind all made up to purchase an Icom R75.
Then, a friend turned me on to PC controlled radios such as the
TenTec Rx-320D. Now I'm on the fence again. PC controlled seems
to offer a lot of bang for the buck.

I have and use both radios. Bought the R75 after getting "knob envy" using
the RX-320. The Icom CAN be computer-controlled wonderfully with free
software (Ham Radio Deluxe) and the addition of a standard DB-9 cable. The
R75 costs $450 and can also be used WITHOUT a computer... perhaps an
important point. If you get the RX-320, prepare to spend more money to
replace your CRT with a less noisy LCD monitor, as shielding seems better
on the Icom.

In my direct comparisons, the RX-320 performs about as well as the Icom
(except on long wave and the lower MW BC band) and its many filters are
quite useful. OTOH, the Icom adds defeatable AGC, RF gain control,
terrific noise reduction and blanking, and auto notch filter, plus a 2-
stage preamp... all of which make the R75 a much more "serious" receiver.
It also has twin passband tuning controls, which work nearly as well as the
RX-320 filters. I often prefer the "punchy" audio of the R75.

You _can_ tune the RX-320 with a knob (Griffin PowerMate) but it will cost
you another $40.

Now that I have both, I would rather keep the R75 if I could sell the RX-
320. The R75's many added features and ability to be used manually more
than make up for its higher price.

In either case, these radios are useless unless you can get shielded coax
outside your house to a real antenna far from your computer. With the R75,
you can turn off the computer (or at least the CRT) whenever you want.

Buy the Icom and download Ham Radio Deluxe (get the latest beta version)
and you won't be disappointed. The RX-320 is cheaper and "DRM-ready" but
computer noise can be a problem.., I have RF chokes on all the cables. If
you are very interested in CW, the RX-320 is fine and some extra shareware
can add DSP filtering. The RX-320 is worth the money, but shortly you
might be kicking yourself for not getting a real radio like the Icom
instead of a virtual one.

BTW, both radios can use the free ILGS shortwave database... without which
program listening is just fumbling in the dark. Once warmed up and
calibrated, the two radios are about equal in stability and display
accuracy down to a few Hertz.

--
Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA
Old March 2nd 04, 05:05 AM
Mark Keith

DEE wrote in message ...
I thought I had my mind all made up to purchase an Icom R75.
Then, a friend turned me on to PC controlled radios such as the
TenTec Rx-320D. Now I'm on the fence again. PC controlled seems
to offer a lot of bang for the buck. These two radios in particular
seem like comparitive values. I'd appreciate the groups input,
especially if you've acutally used the two modes.

Thanks

Both seem to be pretty good. But ya got to remember, if you go the PC
radio, you gotta have a PC everywhere ya go. At least a laptop...With
the r75, it can go anywhere, house, portable, even mobile, and needs
no PC connection. I have no problems with a PC connection, but overall
I'd prefer a stand alone radio for a 1st radio. But if you know for
sure that you will always be at home next to the puter, I guess it's
your call. It's possible the tentec may have some filter advantages,
but I'm not sure. I'd probably go the r-75 myself...But I don't like
to be always tied to the puter. I run my little IC-706mk2g on the
puter at home, but I can still use it like a normal radio elsewhere as
it's self contained with it's own faceplate, etc... MK
Old March 2nd 04, 06:29 AM
Gray Shockley

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 23:05:18 -0600, Mark Keith wrote
(in message ) :

DEE wrote in message
I thought I had my mind all made up to purchase an Icom R75.
Then, a friend turned me on to PC controlled radios such as the
TenTec Rx-320D. Now I'm on the fence again. PC controlled seems
to offer a lot of bang for the buck. These two radios in particular
seem like comparitive values. I'd appreciate the groups input,
especially if you've acutally used the two modes.

Thanks

Both seem to be pretty good. But ya got to remember, if you go the PC
radio, you gotta have a PC everywhere ya go. At least a laptop...

A $99 Palm will work, also.

/gray/

Old March 2nd 04, 05:11 PM
David

Not if you use some form of transformer with all conductors at DC
ground.