Old March 5th 04, 05:45 PM
jeff

Default sony icf-sw55 stopped working

Anybody have any experience with this?

After 10 years of flawless operation, my sw55 stopped working last
night. I turned on the radio and set the sleep timer to 30 min as usual.
After 5 minutes, the radio turned off. When I tried to turn in back on,
it came up with the "cal" on the display and there was a faint hiss from
the speaker. After 30 seconds, the radio turned off again instead of
displaying a station. I tried pushing buttons, jiggling the antenna,
using the reset button, unplugging for a while, changing batteries, but
the behavior is the same.

Has my tuner died? Is there a way to repair it that won't cost more than
the radio is worth? This radio has spent its life sitting on my
nightstand and is in otherwise perfect condition. it would be a shame to
trash it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old March 6th 04, 04:09 AM
tommyknocker

jeff wrote:

[...]

You probably blew a capacitor. And no it's not worth fixing. Go to ebay
and buy a Degen 1102.

Old March 6th 04, 04:34 AM
B Banton

Fix it he

http://www.radiolabs.com/repair/sony.html

Old March 6th 04, 04:51 AM
Brian Denley

Jeff:
I am looking through the SW55 operation and service manuals now to see if
there is a master reset function but I have not found one thus far. Make
sure the key lockout function is not activated. Does the battery indicator
show anything? Are you sure you used good batteries and installed then in
the proper orientation? Sorry to ask obvious questions here but I am just
trying to help. I will keep looking!

--
Brian Denley

Old March 7th 04, 03:18 AM
CW

Brian, I think you are on the right track here. The CAL message likely
indicates a PLL unlock situation. If there is no reset switch, remove all
power (line cord, main batteries, memory batteries) and let it sit overnight
then try it again with NEW batteries. If that doesn't work, you might
consider sending it in for repair. It's pretty hard to troubleshoot long
distance.

Old March 7th 04, 03:23 AM
CW

Do you post just to take up space in the newsgroup? I'll give you the
benefit of the doubt and say you probably know what a capacitor looks like.
Do you know what it does?

Old March 7th 04, 05:11 AM
CW

A bit of a follow-up. I realize the Jeff was the original poster and my
advice was directed to him. I was acknowledging Mr. Denley's observations
as likely. I didn't attribute correctly.

Old March 7th 04, 09:20 PM
tommyknocker

CW wrote:

Do you post just to take up space in the newsgroup? I'll give you the
benefit of the doubt and say you probably know what a capacitor looks like.
Do you know what it does?

I was thinking of old tube gear, where a hum with no signal indicates a
blown capacitor. But those are the paper kind, the ones that rot with
age, not mica or whatever they use now.

Old March 8th 04, 04:45 PM
jeff

Thanks for the suggestions,

To answer some of the questions:

- The problem occurs plugged in and with batteries. I let it sit
overnight and nothing changed.

The current behavior is for the radio to display CAL for several seconds
and then turn off, but once or twice it did go from CAL to "150" like it
normally would... but then turned off a few seconds later.

Not sure if this is a sign, but I did notice that in recent weeks before
it finally died that the radio station wasn't clear. Sounded like there
was another station in the background. And this was a local AM station
that used to be clear. So maybe some component has been slowly failing.

unless someone can provide a fix I can do myself, it doesn't seem
practical to send this in for repair when a similar radio icf-7600 can
be had for $150. I love the sw55, but it is 10 years old. I had a Sony
Watchman that died after a similar time period. I wonder if Sony uses
similar component in both and they eventually fail.

F.S. Sony SW55 BobAR8 Shortwave 3 May 17th 10 05:54 PM
FS: Three NON WORKING SONY IC-2001's y.a. Feder Shortwave 1 February 5th 04 11:43 PM
sony sw55 has been sold!!!! BobAR8 Shortwave 1 January 11th 04 06:39 PM
Sony SW55 BobAR8 Shortwave 1 July 6th 03 04:27 PM